Installing leopard form external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by littleb2005, Oct 27, 2007.

1. littleb2005 macrumors member

[solved]

i created an image of the leopard dvd i had and restore it to an external drive using disk utility

now one thing make me wonder shouldn't i be able to install from the external drive i used

i used to be able to do this with tiger but once i select the startup disk in leopard it does not show anyone got any idea

before anyone say use the dvd i really wan't to keep that in good shape unless i really have to use it jeez i got a tiny external hd and though why not use that

Thanx

2. Dead as a Dodo macrumors newbie

Bootable Leopard Install on a Firewire Disk

I have a firewire drive that boots PPC and Intel Tiger. Getting Intel Tiger on there required Carbon Copy Cloner to copy a live system onto one of the partitions. The firewire drive had been partitioned by a PPC system.

With Leopard I used the same technique with the install DVD. Mounted it, then used CCC to copy to a free partition. It will not let you install by clicking on the Install icon - but the machine will boot off the install media's partition if you reboot and hold down the option key.

I still needed to use the DVD to install the Bootcamp drivers - but I didn't try extracting a copy of the CD image from the Bootcamp application.

3. littleb2005 thread starter macrumors member

I have a firewire drive that boots PPC and Intel Tiger. Getting Intel Tiger on there required Carbon Copy Cloner to copy a live system onto one of the partitions. The firewire drive had been partitioned by a PPC system.
    With Leopard I used the same technique with the install DVD. Mounted it, then used CCC to copy to a free partition. It will not let you install by clicking on the Install icon - but the machine will boot off the install media's partition if you reboot and hold down the option key.

that did it thanx