Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hey guys,

I have already ordered Leopard, but I was wondering how do you install leopard from a .DMG (Like the files the ADC members download) with out burning a DVD?

Do you make a new partition or something?

I am so confused how this is done, and would really appreciate if someone could clear this up.

Thanks!

l4t13

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
Hey guys,

I have already ordered Leopard, but I was wondering how do you install leopard from a .DMG (Like the files the ADC members download) with out burning a DVD?

Do you make a new partition or something?

I am so confused how this is done, and would really appreciate if someone could clear this up.

Thanks!

are you an ADC? or did you download it from a torrent?

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I hope you are just asking this for curiosity's sake...

You have to restore the DMG to a partition on some drive, internal or external, and boot from there.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
You don't. You must boot from the disk which means it MUST be burned to a DVD.

And here I go *possibly* contradicting myself. If you copied the DMG onto a firewire hard drive you might be able to boot off of that drive and install it. Keep in mind, I do not mean copy the DMG onto the hard drive, I mean use disk utility to clone the DMG contents onto the hard drive. This may not work but it would be the only possible way without burning.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
You don't. You must boot from the disk which means it MUST be burned to a DVD.

And here I go *possibly* contradicting myself. If you copied the DMG onto a firewire hard drive you might be able to boot off of that drive and install it. Keep in mind, I do not mean copy the DMG onto the hard drive, I mean use disk utility to clone the DMG contents onto the hard drive. This may not work but it would be the only possible way without burning.

Can't you just create a partition on the internal drive?

P.S. Why would I download a torrent when I already bought leopard... That makes no sense.

I am interested in becoming a future ADC member.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Can't you just create a partition on the internal drive?

P.S. Why would I download a torrent when I already bought leopard... That makes no sense.

I am interested in becoming a future ADC member.

If you bought Leopard, you will get the install DVD and wont have to worry about .dmg images, will you?

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
I'm still lost as to why someone would buy Leopard on DVD, make an image of it, then want to install from that .dmg image. Just install from the original DVD.

Is there a particular reason you want to install from a .dmg?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I'm still lost as to why someone would buy Leopard on DVD, make an image of it, then want to install from that .dmg image. Just install from the original DVD.

Is there a particular reason you want to install from a .dmg?

1. Ever heard of a scratched disc? I do this with a lot of my software purchases.

2. I am interested in becoming a Student ADC member in the future.

Good enough for you?

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
1. Ever heard of a scratched disc? I do this with a lot of my software purchases.

2. I am interested in becoming a Student ADC member in the future.

Good enough for you?

Just a tad over defensive there....

I'm just trying to understand the rationale behind your purpose. I cant say I would worry about reinstalling OS X so much that I'd be paranoid about scratched media...but then, I dont live in a Windows world, where its all too common to install every few months.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
If you want to become an ADC member in the future, that implies that your not an adc member now, which then implies that you shouldnt have acccess to leopard at all!

If you're a developer, your quite likely to know how to restore the image to a partition and boot from it. IMO, if your willing to pay the ADC membership costs, you would know how to restore the image. Also, I'd imagine there is instructions on the ADC website, or in the release notes, however I have access to neither so i can't comment.

If you have torrent-ed the OS, then you should also be able to find install instructions.

If you cant install from a dmg, you shouldnt be install a Beta OS IMO.

But just my opinion, dont flame me.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Just a tad over defensive there....

I'm just trying to understand the rationale behind your purpose. I cant say I would worry about reinstalling OS X so much that I'd be paranoid about scratched media...but then, I dont live in a Windows world, where its all too common to install every few months.

I am not defensive... You asked the same ? Twice. I ignored you the first time...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The OP has been in contact with me with details of his situation... thanks for doing so. :)

For now, assume this is a legit question and if you can help, please provide answers. If not, please don't post in this thread. Thanks.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Using disk utility you can use the "restore" function to make a bootable external Firewire hard drive..

Open disk utility
Click on restore and make sure the external HD is connected and in HFS+ format.

In the "source" area navigate to the *.dmg file and select it.
In the "destination" area drag the attached HD you see on the left into it.

Click on "restore"

Disk utility will then "restore the *.dmg onto the external HD so that it becomes a bootable disk.

When that is finished restart your computer while holding down the "option" key.

You will then be able to boot from what will be called Mac OSX boot disk.Or something similar :)

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
The OP has been in contact with me with details of his situation... thanks for doing so. :)

For now, assume this is a legit question and if you can help, please provide answers. If not, please don't post in this thread. Thanks.

Thanks Blue! Just wanted you to know that I am not trying to do anything illegal.

Using disk utility you can use the "restore" function to make a bootable external Firewire hard drive..

Open disk utility

Click on "restore"

Disk utility will then "restore the *.dmg onto the external HD so that it becomes a bootable disk.

When that is finished restart your computer while holding down the "option" key.

You will then be able to boot from what will be called Mac OSX boot disk.Or something similar :)

Thanks so much Peace!

Looks like I will have to acquire a FW drive. I will be needing one for Time Machine anyway!

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
RTFM!

Or, get in contact with the people at Apple, if you have a ADC account they are more than happy to guide you through the process.

Why an external drive, you can install via terminal.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006

Open disk utility

Click on "restore"

Can you use another Mac as the drive? What would happen if you restarted say a macbook in target mode, then moved the DMG over to it, then used your restore method using the "targeted" macbook as the "destination" point? Would this have any affect on the macbook's harddrive?

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
You can restore a DMG image use Disk Utility to an external FW drive, external USB2 drive (if you have an Intel Mac) or a separate partition on your Macs internal drive. You only need around a 7-9GB partition for the DMG to restore and extract the contents.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Does the Leopard DVD have copy protection? Just thinking that if you're worried about scratched media, you could just burn a couple of copies of the original.

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
RTFM!

Or, get in contact with the people at Apple, if you have a ADC account they are more than happy to guide you through the process.

Why an external drive, you can install via terminal.

wait you can upgrade ldopard in terminal, im adc and i didnt know that, or did you mean burn the dizk from the terminal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.