Installing Leopard from disk image?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dimwhit, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Is this even possible? I'm trying to get Leopard on our G5 PowerMac, but it won't read the disk (it reads all other disks). Trying to figure out a workaround to get it installed, but I'm coming up empty. I was going to boot it to target disk mode and install from another computer, but we don't have any other PowerPC machines to use. I know the disk is good, because my other machine can read it fine.

Any suggestions?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I don't think it has to be a PowerMac. I have done cross-platform installs the other direction before.

edit: Oops, I didn't see what you really said! You're going about the problem backwards. Don't put the G5 in Target mode, put the intel machine in Target mode, and then boot the G5 by holding Alt/Option and boot the CD of the intel machine.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not sure if this is quite what you're asking, but you can't boot from a disk image (unless it's NetBoot image).

4. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

So if there's a disk on, say, a MacBook, and I boot it to target disk mode, I can access the disk? Sweet! That might be the solution I'm looking for. Thanks!