installing leopard from guest account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaa85, Mar 10, 2008.

1. aaa85 macrumors newbie

Hi
    I just bought a used iMac G5, and have some problems with installing Leopard.
    The ting is that the computer already has Leopard installed and has a administrator account that I don’t have the password for. Im new to the leopard interface, and have tried to boot up and press C to start a clean installation but it dident work. Is there anything else that I can do?

2. jeffmc macrumors 6502

if you're installing the OS clean you don't need any privledges to the computer.
    put the disk in reboot, if the C key didn't work try holding option.

this will display all the bootable devices inserted/connected to the computer, just select the OS disk

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

You could also reset the password from the System Install disc, and save the install time.

4. jeffmc macrumors 6502

i think this is what he is trying to do but can't as holding the c key wouldn't work on boot?

5. nb705 macrumors newbie

In that case, hold down Alt when you hear the chime and you should be able to select the disc. However if they have set an EFI password, then tough.

If for some reason you can't get the CD to boot (corruption or similar), boot into single user mode (hold apple and s on startup) and type the following pressing return after each line.

fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    sh /etc/rc.common
    passwd <insert admin user name here>
    reboot

6. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

The OP said he couldn't do a clean install, but not why.