installing Leopard on a new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchaplin, Jan 24, 2010.

1. bchaplin macrumors member

I would like to buy a new MBP but would need to remove Snow Leopard and install Leopard. Is this possible? I know Snow Leopard can be installed on older machines but an not sure if Leopard will run on a newer model...?

Never mind why, but I have reasons for needing to do this.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I don't think it's possible but I may be mistaken

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Macs that come with 10.x.y can't get a version prior to that version (10.x.y - 0.0.1) installed, so no 10.6.1 on a Mac that came with 10.6.2, and definitely no 10.5.x.

4. bchaplin thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks!

Oh, well. And I can't even run Leopard in virtual mode, via Parallels. Darn!

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Just buy a refurb. MBP. That's what I did. I needed the Express SLot and Leopard to run some of my software. Apple ships the 2008/early 2009 refurbs with a copy of SL.

I don't see much of an advantage by getting a new Macbook Pro except that it store up to 8GB of RAM and has a SD slot. You can buy a card reader for $5 for that much.

Keep checking back to see when its stocked

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB985LL/A?mco=MTA4MzQ4MzU

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB471LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470?mco=Nzk2MTU1Ng

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0G02LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i wouldnt count on the refurbs being able to do any better than a new one at running Leopard.
    some of the refurbs could be ones made/released in the past couple months.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to run an older version of OS X; such as Leopard on one that has SL.

As I, aswell have been trying to run 10.5.8 on newer versions of Macs.
    I tried with both a 13" MBP and 27" iMac.
    both ran and booted 10.5.8 well. there little inconsistencies however. especially with driver and graphic support.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I wouldn't say right off the bat that 10.5 wouldn't run on a new MBP. It's possible that it may run, perhaps with some limitations, since the new MBP's are 95% identical hardware-wise to the late '09 MacBook Pro 5,1 which originally shipped with Leopard. I don't know which specific revision of 10.5.x you would need though.

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

You need a version 10.5.7 Install Disk on the Macbook Pros to install from the DVD, but you can install Leopard to an external HD use that to boot te machine and clone the HD to the laptop. It's a cludge, but it will work, as said above with some possible limitations. Running the combo updater to 10.5.8 clears up everything needed to use the machine. Still, SL is in my experience, quite a bit faster. I did this on my Macbook Pro, only to clean install to SL later.
    Unless you have a very demanding reason to run Leopard, it seems like SL is better on these machines, even given it does need an update or two.. HInt to Apple:cool:. (Place your varying opinions here...)

9. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Maybe I am missing something, but my MacBook Pro came with Leopard on it back in September. I formatted my harddrive and installed a clean copy of Snow Leopard. Are you all saying that I could not format my harddrive again and re-install Leopard? If so why?

My MacBook Pro is the latest 13" base model, purchased one week after Snow Leopard release, so I have both discs.

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

No, the questions is whether or not Leopard can be installed on a model that originally came with Snow Leopard.

11. bchaplin thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.
    I was considering upgrading to a new computer but any possible complications staying with Leopard are a deal-killer. Right now I need to run software that isn't Snow Leopard-compatible. That's fine; I'll just save money and keep my current laptop for another year.

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Why would it make any difference? Like I said before my MacBook pro is the latest model. I would say if you format the harddrive you could install leopard on the current MacBook pros without any issue.

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yes, you're right. I have a habit of responding to threads like these late in the day or early in the morning, both times of limited brain-function.

14. gonewestcoast macrumors member

Could buy one, try it, and if it doesn't work take it back?

Failing that, you could ask the folks at the Apple store prior to purchase.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you open it you can return it in 14 days, but you will have to pay restocking fee, usually 10%

16. Pax macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure the downgrade would be fine. I've seen in discussions people who are dissatisfied with Snow Leopard downgrading their computers to Leopard. Even new-bought ones.

Obviously you would need a Leopard install DVD.

(I'm dissatisfied with Snow Leopard. There are too many bugs still compared with Leopard. I have thought about downgrading myself but the hassle is just a bit much. What's particularly galling is that I paid Real Money to upgrade applications like Parallels to SL compatibility!)

Search for Snow Leopard downgrade on these forums, you'll find people who have done it.

17. Pax macrumors 6502a

FWIW my late 2009 MBP came with 10.6.0 installed. I just booted it from a 10.5.8 backup I had. It all seemed to work OK, it booted, Mail & Safari worked.

So I am pretty sure that you could downgrade your new MBP to 10.5.8 with no problems.

18. Raima macrumors 6502

What software is that?

19. bchaplin thread starter macrumors member

It's not important - just some software I use for work. Sometimes I like to take work home & it's just easier for me if everything is cross-compatible.