Installing Leopard on a TiBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Aug 18, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I just got my hot hands on a retail Leopard install DVD(it came with an MDD that I bought from a forum member here) and was anxious to do a fresh Leopard install on my TiBook.

Mine is the last generation model, and can officially support Leopard without using any work-arounds. It has an 867mhz processor, and I just upgraded it to 1gb ram(I think the max).

The issue I'm having is that it spits the Leopard DVD back out as soon as I put it in the drive.

As I said, this is a real, genuine Apple retail install DVD. I know that the optical drive can read DVDs, as I installed Tiger from a DVD.

Is the issue with it being a double layer disk?

If so, I guess that "option B" is to boot the TiBook in target disk mode and run the Leopard installer from my G5. I'd rather just install it natively, though.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've been able to install Leopard on various Tibooks without a problem. The lens in yours may be dirty or the laser may be weak. Installing it via the G5 would be faster.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Leopard ships on a dual layer disk and as a result some older DVD drives have trouble reading them because the laser gets dirty or weak over time.

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Try buying a DL-DVD, ripping the ISO of the Leopard DVD, and then burning it onto a DL-DVD or a FireWire drive.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've never had any luck getting a good burn onto a DL disk...(and that includes trying to burn a Leopard ISO)

Somewhere around here, I have some of the cleaning disks that one use to be able to buy. They have a small, soft brush attached to the underside of the CD, along with some audio content to "coax" the laser into the area where it will be cleaned. Since some here are suggesting possibly a dirty lens, I may try running one of those later and see if it improves anything.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The best advice I've yet received to burn a dual layer disk was to use Disk Utility. I have Toast, but that was not suggested and DU has worked every time.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

I burnt a few copies of Leopard back in the day as I wanted to keep my retail copy pristine (they were not free then). Dug one out recently and it still reads fine. Use a decent DL brand. I stuck to Ritek and Verbatim and avoided the much cheaper Aone.

Eyoungren is correct. Never use Toast to burn a bootable PPC disk. It mucks it up every time. Use Disk Utility and if burning Panther or older remember to lock the image down first or it can get 'unblessed'.

And burn slowly.

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The last couple of times I've tried to burn Leopard, I've used a Verabtim DL-DVD.

I set up my Macbook Pro on my dining room table and left it undisturbed while it was burning(I think it took about 45 minutes). I did use Disk Utility, and not any other program.

Perhaps my mistake was in trying to do it with my MBP and Mavericks, and not on something like my G5.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Perhaps. When I burned mine, it was using my 17" DLSD.

10. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Even though Verbatim is low priced, they are very good quality!

11. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I ran a cleaner disk through the optical drive in my TiBook, and the Leopard install disk is now running without issue!

12. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Success!

I'm posting this now from the fresh install of Leopard on my TiBook. Once I got the DVD drive going, the install went without any problems.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad it installed correctly. How is the performance?

14. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's tied up downloading and installing updates now, so I haven't really had a chance to put it through its paces.

Thank goodness for gigabit ethernet. The Leopard combined update is close to 800mb, and with some of the other updates bring the total up to over a gig. That would take a long time over 802.11b!

15. weckart macrumors 68040

Hell, no. Verbatim is a premium brand with a price to match. At least that was the case before burning discs fell out of favour. There is also a hierarchy to observe:
    Made in Japan - the best. Stock up on these.
    Made in Taiwan - Not bad
    Made in China - Still serviceable
    Made in India - Crappy Baer Moser dyes. Coasters and fading aplenty. Avoid.

DL discs were invariably made in Singapore. I have not bought any in years do I don't know if any of the above still applies.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The only Verbatim product I ever bought was an SSD and it easily was the biggest piece of junk part I ever bought. Stay away from them if you can especially their SSDs.

17. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

How does leopard run on a ti as compared to tiger? I just picked up a 667GHz DVI (only $20 and okay shape)....

18. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The Verbatim DL-DVDs that I have(bought about 3 weeks ago from Radio Shack) are marked Made in Taiwan.

So far so good. It doesn't feel as "crisp" as it does on my G5 and even G4 towers, but then that's to be expected.

It's definitely useable, though, and I'd say in overall responsiveness I find it about equal to Tiger. I've not tried to do anything too serious on it since upgrading-mostly just surfing and some light word processor work.

I should also add that I maxed out the ram-at 1gb-before installing Leopard. From my past experience with Leopard, I feel like a lack of ram can really bog it down. Of everything I have currently running Leopard, the TiBook actually has the least amount of ram, and I really wouldn't want to try and use it with less than 1gb.

19. weckart macrumors 68040

I checked some today, in two different shops. All were made in the UAE. so things have changed in the past few years.

As for Leopard, 10.5.2 heralded the era of WiFi issues that OSX has never really recovered from. Before that, it was solid on all of my notebooks.