Installing Leopard on an iMac that can't read DL DVD's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EnigMoiD, Dec 19, 2009.

1. EnigMoiD macrumors member

I own a Dual-Layer Leopard install DVD that cannot be read by my first gen iMac g5 (no i-sight) running Tiger. I was thinking of using my laptop (running Snow Leopard) as an external optical drive so I could install OS X on the iMac.

I have a FireWire tether cable that can connect the 2 macs, and Remote Install OS X doesn't work on the iMac since apparently Leopard is required to install Leopard remotely.

Also, should I be worried that a Dual-Layer install disc won't support PPC at all?

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Sounds more like a SuperDrive issue than a PPC issue.

Anyway, solution...

Boot the iMac into target disk mode, (swtich on holding the T key)

Place Leopard disk into Macbook (Pro) and boot.

Install Leopard to firewire drive (iMac)

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It may work that way but it's preferable to put the macbook into target disk mode with the Leopard disk in it and restart iMac holding down alt and startup with Leopard disk.

4. EnigMoiD thread starter macrumors member

I put the iMac in tether mode, and the Leopard install disk told me I had to repartition it as "GUID Partition Table." there's no data on the machine now, so that's fine, but I can't find the option it mentions anywhere in disk utility. I already repartitioned it as Mac OS X Extended Journaled, but that didn't work.

EDIT: Never mind, I skipped Disk Utility and it's installing now. Thanks, guys!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

A cell phone is tethered for Internet access so you must mean target disk mode.