Installing leopard on new hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Beansley, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Beansley, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

Beansley macrumors newbie

So my hard drive crapped out on me.....I know, it's probably happened to us al at one point or another. I went out and purchased seagate momentus laptop internal drive 250 gb 5400 rpm drive. I took out the busted Mac drive and put the new drive in. I've inserted the leopard disc and held the "c" key down to boot from the cd, but nothing happens. How to I get this drive to boot to install leopard?

Edit:Wow, have I stumped macrumors

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

more info needed...

-what is macbook doing when you try and boot leopard dvd?
    -when you replaced hd did you mess with ram? maybe try reseat them?
    -is it retail osx leopard dvd? (not grey ones)
    -could also try booting by hitting option key at boot (also you to select boot drive)

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

TRy booting whilst holding down the OPTION key. You should be using the original install media that came with your Mac, and have an internet connection active.

4. Beansley thread starter macrumors newbie

-It sounds like its trying to turn the disk then it spits the disc back out grey screen the entire time until it spits the disc out when I get the flashing ? Folder asking me to tell int whereq the statup drive is.
    -No I don't think I did, I just pulled out the old hard drive, removed the metal and transferred it to the new one, the stuck the new hard drive in.
    -It is a retail DVD
    -it did the same thing, grey screen tried to turn disc eventually spit it back out.

----------

Now I believe it is not the original disc, it was the latest disc I had installed previously, if my memory serves right this Mac would have come with a tiger disc back in the day. The tiger disc has been lost to the world apparently.

5. TurnTronics macrumors member

What disc are you using? You said it was not the original disc that came with your MacBook, so is it a 10.5 drop in disc that you purchased from Apple?

Also, did you have any issues with your DVD drive before? You could try spraying your drive with compressed air to remove some dust from the optical lens. I have had MacBooks in the past that spit out some DVD's, and after spraying the drive the discs worked.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like a bad optical drive to me.
    I don't know of any reason a hard drive would keep causing a disc eject.

Do you have another Mac (or pc) that you could use to help diagnose the issue?

You could make a USB installer form the DVD you have.