Installing Leopard on new hard drive?

BAM!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Hello all,

First post here. I'm getting a new hard drive in my iBook G4 tomorrow, as well as more memory, and was wondering if there is anything special I will need to do to install Leopard on this HD that has nothing on it.

Thanks.:apple:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Hello all,

First post here. I'm getting a new hard drive in my iBook G4 tomorrow, as well as more memory, and was wondering if there is anything special I will need to do to install Leopard on this HD that has nothing on it.

You'll need to format the disk with Disk utility if you are swapping out the HDs yourself. You can do that from utilities>Disk utility on the Leopard disk.

BAM!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
OK great so literally just turn on the computer and pop the cd in? Sounds great thanks guys.

BAM!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
You'll need to format the disk with Disk utility if you are swapping out the HDs yourself. You can do that from utilities>Disk utility on the Leopard disk.
The guy at the computer store is putting the new HD in for me. I havn't bought leopard yet.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
OK great so literally just turn on the computer and pop the cd in? Sounds great thanks guys.
for below..
It depends if he formats the drive first. Changing the HDD in an iBook is a real bugger.

BAM!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Yep I now have a new hard drive and more RAM but no one around here sells apple software so I'm going to have to maybe miss classes tomorrow and go huntin haha.

BAM!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
help... so I got Leopard but I have no idea how to format the disk under disk utility. Thanks

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
boot from the Leopard DVD (when you hear the chime, hold the "C" key until you see the apple appear on screen). You will get that scrolling circle for a minute or so (takes longer than booting from internal HD). After a minute, you should be dropped into the Leo install menu. Click NEXT. At this point, you will have a menu across the top, select UTILITIES > Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and format it for HTFS (journaled). Once thats done, close the disk utility (make sure to close the program, not just the window). Then continue on with the install. You will know it worked as it should when you can select your HD as an installable location for Leopard.

BAM!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
got it thanks. about 50 minutes left I havn't been this excited since I bought this thing. :D

debryc

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Mac OSX extended (Journaled? or case-sensitive and journaled?)

Hi! I'm in the same position. Question on the format though. The drop down menu doesn't have HTFS as an option. Instead, it has a mac osx extended. Should I choose journaled? or case-sensitive and journaled? Thanks!

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Hi! I'm in the same position. Question on the format though. The drop down menu doesn't have HTFS as an option. Instead, it has a mac osx extended. Should I choose journaled? or case-sensitive and journaled? Thanks!
Mac OS extened ( journaled ) not sure why,but it's never recommend to use case-sensitive ( maybe someone could inlighten me as to why? )

22PRQ

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
No chime and no apple

Help!

I just had the drive in my ibook G4 replaced and thought that the rest would be simple.... when I power it up there is no chime and no apple on screen, only a suitcase with a flashing question mark.

When I power up I insert the Leopard Disc and hold down the C key but nothing happens.... where have I gone wrong?

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Now that you have the Dvd inside the drive, switch off the mac and power on again. Remember to hold "C" when you power up.

manyrains

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
I'm trying to do this exact thing. I've got the Leopard dvd in, power down, hold C, but disk keeps coming out when powering up. Hope someon still reads this though an old thread. Very helpful to me right now.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Restart your computer. Hold down the option key before it chimes. You should be presented with a gray screen and a few icons. One will be a hard drive icon and the other a DVD. Use the arrow keys to select the DVD and hit enter.

If the DVD pops out during start up wait till the menu described above appears. Push the DVD back in and it should appear. I'm not sure why you're experiencing this. :confused:

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Hello all,

just clone the drive you already have in it... unless you don't want your old information of course. i think it's the easiest way if you don't want a clean install

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.