Installing Leopard on new hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BAM!, Oct 31, 2007.

1. BAM! macrumors newbie

Hello all,

First post here. I'm getting a new hard drive in my iBook G4 tomorrow, as well as more memory, and was wondering if there is anything special I will need to do to install Leopard on this HD that has nothing on it.

Thanks.:apple:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Nothing special just pop the disk in and enjoy.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Nope - just boot from the DVD and follow the prompts. Easy as pie =]

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You'll need to format the disk with Disk utility if you are swapping out the HDs yourself. You can do that from utilities>Disk utility on the Leopard disk.

5. BAM! thread starter macrumors newbie

OK great so literally just turn on the computer and pop the cd in? Sounds great thanks guys.

6. BAM! thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy at the computer store is putting the new HD in for me. I havn't bought leopard yet.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

for below..
    It depends if he formats the drive first. Changing the HDD in an iBook is a real bugger.

8. BAM! thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Did you get it back?

10. BAM! thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep I now have a new hard drive and more RAM but no one around here sells apple software so I'm going to have to maybe miss classes tomorrow and go huntin haha.

11. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Cool

There is no better reason to miss classes... good luck...

12. BAM! thread starter macrumors newbie

help... so I got Leopard but I have no idea how to format the disk under disk utility. Thanks

13. ~J~ macrumors 6502

boot from the Leopard DVD (when you hear the chime, hold the "C" key until you see the apple appear on screen). You will get that scrolling circle for a minute or so (takes longer than booting from internal HD). After a minute, you should be dropped into the Leo install menu. Click NEXT. At this point, you will have a menu across the top, select UTILITIES > Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and format it for HTFS (journaled). Once thats done, close the disk utility (make sure to close the program, not just the window). Then continue on with the install. You will know it worked as it should when you can select your HD as an installable location for Leopard.

14. BAM! thread starter macrumors newbie

got it thanks. about 50 minutes left I havn't been this excited since I bought this thing. :D

15. ~J~ macrumors 6502

haha... enjoy! I was the same way when first installing it on my MBP on Friday!

16. debryc macrumors newbie

Mac OSX extended (Journaled? or case-sensitive and journaled?)

Hi! I'm in the same position. Question on the format though. The drop down menu doesn't have HTFS as an option. Instead, it has a mac osx extended. Should I choose journaled? or case-sensitive and journaled? Thanks!

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Mac OS extened ( journaled ) not sure why,but it's never recommend to use case-sensitive ( maybe someone could inlighten me as to why? )

18. 22PRQ macrumors newbie

No chime and no apple

Help!

I just had the drive in my ibook G4 replaced and thought that the rest would be simple.... when I power it up there is no chime and no apple on screen, only a suitcase with a flashing question mark.

When I power up I insert the Leopard Disc and hold down the C key but nothing happens.... where have I gone wrong?

19. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Now that you have the Dvd inside the drive, switch off the mac and power on again. Remember to hold "C" when you power up.

20. manyrains macrumors member

I'm trying to do this exact thing. I've got the Leopard dvd in, power down, hold C, but disk keeps coming out when powering up. Hope someon still reads this though an old thread. Very helpful to me right now.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Restart your computer. Hold down the option key before it chimes. You should be presented with a gray screen and a few icons. One will be a hard drive icon and the other a DVD. Use the arrow keys to select the DVD and hit enter.

If the DVD pops out during start up wait till the menu described above appears. Push the DVD back in and it should appear. I'm not sure why you're experiencing this. :confused:

22. ThiagoWhite macrumors newbie

Leopar Install

When Leopard is installed in a new Hard Drive, does it install iLife with it?

23. ThiagoWhite macrumors newbie

Leopard Install

When Leopard is installed in a new Hard Drive, does it install iLife with it?

24. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

No. iLife is separate software

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

just clone the drive you already have in it... unless you don't want your old information of course. i think it's the easiest way if you don't want a clean install