Installing Leopard on Powerbook via target disk from Macbook possible?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by andyjamesnelson, Jul 8, 2008.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Hey

I have a Powerbook G4 1.25 15inch 1gig ram.

I also have a new Macbook.

I've gotten myself a copy of Leopard (not the disks that came with the macbook - they won't install for some reason on the Powerbook?)

Is it possible for me to some how create a partition on the Macbook - copy the Leopard install files to it with disk utility and then install the OS onto the Powerbook via target disk mode?

Please can someone help me with some advice on this?

Thanks for your time. Andy

2. tablebeast macrumors newbie

It won't work because your Macbook has the Intel version of OSX and your Powerbook needs the PPC version. I believe the retail copies of Leopard come with both versions, but the install disks packed with new computers only have the Intel version. You're better off with Tiger on your Powerbook anyway in my opinion.

3. matt321 macrumors member

Nope that wont work. It will install an x86 version of leopard on your powerbook. (Assuming your putting the powerbook in target mode and installing from the macbook)

The opposite is possible, however. If you put your macbook in target mode and connect it to the powerbook via firewire, the powerbook should be able to boot from DVD drive of the macbook. I have done that for an old iMac that didn't have a DVD drive to install Tiger (not Leopard but it should work the same.

To do so, put your Macbook in target mode and insert the DVD first. Then connect it to the powerbook, power on the powerbook, and hold down the Alt/Option key until you see the list of choices. One of them should be "OS X Leopard."

The reason the Macbook original disks wont work on the powerbook is because it checks your hardware and will only install on the original machine. You must use a retail Leopard disk for your powerbook.

Hope this helps!

4. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey

Thanks for the advice.

Ok now I understand that only retail versions have both PPC and Intel versions of Leopard and thats why the disks that came with the Macbook won't install on the Powerbook.

However I have downloaded a retail version of Leopard but I have no way of burning it to disk.

I have heard that one can install is to a partition or something and boot from that partition via target disk mode

In doing this would it be possible to install it to my Powerbook?

How do I create a partition on the Macbook and install the Leopard files to it?

Andy

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Since you've downloaded a illegal version of leopard, I doubt anyone will help you here. Sorry.

6. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes because I am sure I am the only person on this forum who's downloaded something illegal.

Anyway I don't see why after buying a computer I should have to buy the OS.

If anyone has more help for me please let me know.

Thanks. Andy

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You need one installer DVD for each computer you install it on. I even bought a retail copy of Leopard for my hackintosh.

8. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

But you didn't buy the OS, you got Leopard free with the MacBook, just as you will have got Panther free with the PowerBook.

Trying to install an OS upgrade from an Intel-only disc onto a PPC machine is futile, as is trying to suck it across from FireWire Target Disk (sorry to the person who suggested that, but its still the Intel disc).

Apple charges a comparatively reasonable amount for its Operating System should users such as yourself wish to upgrade your machine. Be thankful you're not on a Windows machine upgrading from XP Professional to Vista Über-Super-Duper-Not-Stripped-Down (or whatever their high-end version is called) for £250 ($500).

As for downloading this copy of Leopard. This is breaking the law in several areas (illegal file distribution, copyright theft, copyright fraud, throwing the EULA out of the window and so on) and I shall not tell you specifically how to create a working boot disc.

However, to burn a disc image, Apple does have preinstalled imaging tools.

I do not condone the illegal use of software.

Dæmon

9. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

10. ihabime macrumors 6502

You've been here since 2003, at least you could have bothered to glance at the rules.

Under the heading "Things not to do"

3. Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites or software whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

If you've got enough money to buy toys then you've got enough to pick up a used copy of leopard from ebay.

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No one is claiming that they never in their life broke any copyright laws before.

However, it's one thing to do it and be quiet about it. It's another thing to do it, admit it out loud you did it, and ask others to help you and approve your illegal action.

12. lugowski macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!!!!

A lot of thanks for the tip Master, really works!!!!:D:apple: