Installing Leopard on PPC via Intel Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ddeadserious, Dec 6, 2008.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

This may be a stupid question, if so, flame on.

From what I've read, Leopard is the first Apples first truly Universal OS, thus the basis for this question.

The OS is Leopard Server, the Mac(s) are a dual 500MHz Powermac G4, and a 2.0 Core Duo Macbook Pro.

The OS does not want to install on the Powermac, it comes back with issues no matter what I do.

So, could I install Leopard Server on my Powermac by putting it into Target Disk Mode and installing it via my MBP?

Pretty simple question, and I doubt this is possible, but figured it was worth asking.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Have a look here for the specs for OS X Server.. short answer: Needs cpu processor upgrade etc.. :rolleyes:

edit: The Dual G4 PowerMac doesn't equal 1Ghz machine,when you got dual cpu system... Dual = 500mhz etc. meaning 2 physical processors on 1 G4 board..

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

No, it is unlikely to work. The G4 requires the hard disk be partitioned using Apple Partition Map, while an install run on an intel CPU is going to want the drive partitioned with GUID partition map. While it is theoretically possible, I think the OS X installer prevents it from happening.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian