Installing Leopard onto a DVD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ElectricMan5, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ElectricMan5 macrumors regular

I'm trying to narrow down a leopard installation to about 4.7 GB to fit on a DVD.

What directories do i not need, but come with the installation anyways?

Thanks.

(please dont give me other options other than installation leopard on a DVD... I have my reasons. i don't wanna make it an install disk, but a DVD i can actually boot from. thanks.)

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

3. ElectricMan5 thread starter macrumors regular

rofl where did hacking come from? I wanna use the DVD to boot my powerbook from it... it won't read my ipod nano nor the external HD which i'm using...

i dunno where you got the term "hacking" from... i simply want to make the leopard installation smaller. nothing about "hacking" in that.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So, um. Why don't you just insert your retail copy of Leopard into the PowerBook? That would be a lot easier. Ya Know?

Don

5. ElectricMan5 thread starter macrumors regular

Because the powerbook cant support leopard on its HD, though it can boot off of others. This really never made sense to me... Id do it nornally with an external HD, but its not compatible with PPC computers. Im just using the DVD for something to boot off of, cause i dont have any spare ipods hanging around :)

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Leopard is compatible with a PPC that has a 867MHz or faster G4 processor. What are the specs of your machine?

Don

7. ElectricMan5 thread starter macrumors regular

800MHz and 512 mb RAM. I used some codes in open firmware to change the ram speed, but with this disk it doesnt work. I used to hack it to run leopard, but now i just wanna boot it off of a compatible thing. A DVD is the only real idea i have...

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

It's not going to work. Because your processor is 800Mhz, not 867Mhz.

Don

9. ElectricMan5 thread starter macrumors regular

Duh. Installing it wont wok, but like i said, booting it will.

10. ihabime macrumors 6502

It would help if you told us why you want a bootable leopard install on a DVD.

If it's to make a live install runnable from the disk, InsanelyMac has a forum devoted to that here
    but that seems like it's for OSX86 hacking and might not work for your powerbook.

If you just want to fool the installer into letting you install on your unsupported Mac, there's a MacRumors Guide here and a pretty comprehensive page from lowendmacs.com here

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It'll work just fine, but performance won't be anything to write home about.

As another poster said, you can remove the system requirements check using one of the guides available online.

Alternatively (and perhaps more easily), you can simply put the PowerBook into target disk mode and install onto it from a supported machine.

If you're set on install Leopard, I'd recommend the second option... But I gotta say, 10.4 is probably the best OS for that generation of machine.