Installing Leopard OSX! Advice Please..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by julianna1973, Mar 7, 2009.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I checked in an Apple store this morning. My iMac of 3 years, it seems will allow me to install OSX Leopard.
    Previously i had reinstalled my OSX after i had let a load of rubbish build up & i wanted to start as new but i did use the option to keep previous system, so i was able to access it if required.
    My problem now is im not sure how to do this in a simple straightfoward way.

The Apple guy says use my mobile me to have everything sync to the cloud BUT that wont keep my itunes library & all purchases i have made. Also what would happen to my previous system, would i still be able to access it or would it be cleaned off with this new operating system.

Im doing all this so i can upgrade to ilfe but obviously will need leopard to do so.

Any advise & pointers will be great thanks.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Haha the Apple guy's advice was to sync everything to MobileMe?! What a plonker.

Do an update of the OS, then backup all your data using Time Machine (you'll need an external hard drive, they are really cheap now these days, so worth having).

Then do a clean install and restore all your data from Time Machine.

3. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

You seem to have better advice. I am not an Apple expert but it did sound a bit wrong to be at the time. I did try to point it out to him but i was unsure, maybe im the idiot, he must know better.

Can i just confirm with you about my imac being compatible then? it is version 10.4.11
    processer 2ghz intel core duo
    memory 1gb 667 mhz ddr2 sd ram

Will my itunes library & all the purchases back up to the time machine & external hard drive??

4. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Your iMac seems to be about the same (spec wise) as my 2 year old macbook which runns OS X leopard perfectly. So yes your iMac is perfectly capable to run OS X leopard, and most likely the upcoming OS X snow leopard (in case you were wondering)

5. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I might just wait then. I will need time to find files etc i want to keep & my hubby has his own desktop also but he isnt on mobile me or anything so i would have to work out how to transfer his desktop settins & bookmarks etc over.