Installing Leopard over Tiger, On Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sayif2, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sayif2 macrumors newbie

Hello All, I am having trouble installing Leopard over my 10.4 Tiger Mac,

I am using "grey faced" dvd's that came with my 10.5 Leopard Macbook, to install Leopard on my Mac, but whenever it starts up the process of installing it, it gives me an error " Mac OS X can not be installed on this computer"

It gives me 2 options, to restart or "ok", if i choose "OK" i can roam about in disk utility, password reset etc etc as you would"

I am wondering if this is a computer/disk problem, or will I just need to go buy snow leopard from a retailer?

Thanks.

2. SandynJosh macrumors 68000

Your Mac needs to have an Intel processor for Snow Leopard. Check "About this Mac" to make sure you don't have a G3/G4/G5 processor.

If you do have an Intel processor, then I'd suggest you do a clean install. Back up your current HD (including the System Folder) to a cheap external HD drive and go from there.

3. sayif2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i DO have a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor,

I will do what you have suggested me to do, and i will update tomorrow to see if it works, THANKS MUCH!!

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you are trying to use a restore disk on a computer other than the one it came with, it won't work. It sounds like you are, because if it has a Leopard restore disk, there is no way you could have tiger on it.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Restore disks don't work between different model Macs. You can buy Snow Leopard and install that on your Tiger Mac. Its only $30.

6. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Bargin, You can't really complain about the price.