Installing Leopard over Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swwack91, Nov 17, 2007.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I really don't want all of my current data put into an archive folder and the simple "Upgrade" installation option of Leopard seems most practical for me.

2 questions -

1) Will choosing "Upgrade" over a clean install affect performance? I have a C2D MBP.

2) I notice that the required disc space for installation is 9GB. If I choose to upgrade "over" Tiger like I mentioned earlier, will some of Tiger's OS data be erased, "cushioning" the amount of disc space used instead of just sucking up a full 9 gigs?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The Archive and Install option keeps your data — your account — intact if you select the Preserve Users and Network setting.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

All it does is archive the System folder, in case there are some stray preference files or similar in its library. When you're convinced that you don't need it any more, you can simply trash it.

You can also save some space by not installing languages and printer drivers that you don't need.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess what I'm asking is Leopard can't have 9GB of new features. Will it delete every trace of Tiger and only install what's new?

I find it silly to have Tiger's OS somewhere on the HD.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You keep it as long as you need it; it ends up in a folder called Previous System. Archive and Install is a far safer way of doing an install than an upgrade, as long as you preserve your settings as stated above.

That way, you start with a new System folder with all your home folder — music, movies, documents — fully functional.

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

So I'm going to upgrade my C2D MacBook Pro to Leopard tonight. I have a whole bunch of apps installed on Tiger, CS3, Office, iWork, iLife, Final Cut Express, etc.

If I Archive and Install will I still have all the applications? Or will I need to reinstall them? I can back up all my data, but if I have to reinstall all m applications, then I'd rather do a format and install of Leopard instead.

I've only ever user Tiger and have never installed a new OS on the Mac.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

6. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, same exact situation as VanMacGuy.

So basically what you're saying is the only difference b/w Archive & Install and Upgrade is that Archive & Install makes a "Previous System" folder and Upgrade just deletes it upon installation?

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Read this; it'll answer all your questions and what's more, it will be right. ;)

A lot of people on this forum have had problems with the upgrade option, that's all.

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Thanks Blue Velvet, I'm reading it now.

Cheers.

9. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I'll back everything up and then I think I'm going to Upgrade and see how it works.

If I have any problems, I'll do a format and fresh install and then reinstall all my applications.

Cheers.

11. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

just to be clear - cuz the Apple document is a little vague...

Archive & Install doesn't use ANY more space than Upgrade except for the "Previous System" folder?