Installing Leopard (PowerPC Mac Mini)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by olly666, Jul 6, 2011.

1. olly666 macrumors regular

olly666

I prep a flash drive with the dmg as I've done in the past...it mounts just fine and the resulting window opens, but when I click install OS X I get the following message:

"You cannot use the application "Install Mac OS X" with this version of Mac OS X."

Am I missing something? This system sucks, but it meets the minimum requirements...

(...and for anyone wondering, no it doesn't read DL-DVD's.)

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I've also tried just booting to the flash drive, but it isn't listed when I hold down the option key.

2. simsaladimbamba

Did you the same procedure before with the same PPC Mac mini? As far as I know, PPC Macs can't easily boot from USB devices, they need Firewire ones.
    Btw, is it a RETAIL version of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard?

3. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

No this machine is "new" to me (a favor for a colleague). I have two Macs, but they're from this century lol.

Yup, dmg from retail disc.

4. simsaladimbamba, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Then you need to use Target Disk Mode with one of the newer Macs and their ODDs, if one of your newer Macs has Firewire.

[​IMG]

5. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

Irk, no firewire. Or access to my Macs for that matter. :confused:

6. simsaladimbamba

Then you are currently at the end of the road, unless you can get an external ODD with Firewire or an existing installation of Leopard from another PPC Mac cloned onto an external FW HDD.

Btw, does the Mac mini have any OS on it?

7. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

It has 10.4. I found "Super Duper" (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) which I'm praying is going to work in enabling my flash drive be read while booting. I'll report back.

8. simsaladimbamba

How did you come upon this idea, that SD might enable you to boot from a USB flash memory thumb drive?
    The SD website you linked to says the following:

9. olly666 thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

"I backed up my internal drive to an external USB 2.0 drive using SuperDuper! (a great application, by the way). Today, just for fun, I rebooted my PowerBook G4 with the USB drive connected while holding the option key to load the boot drive selection menu. It showed my internal drive as well as my external backup drive as valid boot drives, so I chose the external drive. OS X booted successfully off of the external drive, albeit slowly. But for recovery purposes, this could be invaluable.

My system is running 10.4.8, so I'm not sure if this is a 10.4.8 feature, a SuperDuper! related thing, or if it has to do with some other factor, but it works, and that's all I care about."

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20061017084322177