Installing Leopard Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by actore116, Oct 20, 2007.

1. actore116 macrumors newbie

Hi, (sorry if this is a stupid question)
    I was wondering if when I install Leopard I will lose all my documents and music and pictures and stuff or if when I install it everything will stay the same where it is?

Thanks in Advance...

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

you can choose between
    upgrade (i won't do that)
    archive and install (all your files are saved and you have leopard)
    clean install (the best actually but doesn't save files so you will need to backup everything)

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

No, but a lot of folks just prefer a clean start. Personally, all my upgrades have been just that (upgrade vs clean install) and I have never had a single problem or issue crop up. It's more a matter of how much mucking about you want to do post install to restore apps, etc.

There's no "right" or "wrong" path here, just your preference & time available. Also, remember this isn't Windows, where clean installs are almost a requirement because of the multitudinous issues arising in most upgrade scenarios.

If you really can't decide which is preferable, then an "Archive & Install" may be your answer. It will retain everything without wiping your drive, but give you a perfectly fresh Leopard install.

6. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

no but i recommend to not do it, but everyones choice

7. nightelf macrumors 6502

I always do clean installs. It's a pain, but I think everything runs faster and better.

8. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

i agree with nightelf, cuz if u download some program and u deleted it sometimes it stays on ure comptuer somewhere, so i do a clean install so i get rid of all those

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

"upgrade" used to take a looooong time compared to the other options -- 4 to 5 hours, iirc. I think it's gotten better over the years, but I still prefer "archive and install" as a nice middle ground. It leaves you an easy escape route if the install doesn't go well.