Installing Leopard seems frozen at install

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Grunthaner, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Grunthaner macrumors member

I received my Leopard discs in the mail purchased from a software ad on NYC Craigslist mentioned buy a member here but it seems frozen for 2 hrs now as it says "Time Remaining: About 1 hour and 11 minutes". I'm thinking I should try a clean install but I am not 100% sure how to do that. Does anyone have a link? Or other suggestion? I did back up my needed files :)
    Linda

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It can take while, especially on Macs Apple didn't intend you install it on. What's happening is that with Leopard the OS is creating a bunch of permissions and ACL (Access Control Lists) for every little file it installs. Leopard added better security and it has more files.

You can check on the progress of the installer by going to File>Show Install Log (it's called something like that, can't recall the exact wording right now). You want to show Errors and Progress.

This is a live view of every file being installed. Note that the Leopard installer times are just plain wacky. I've had it show me that I had days to go and it's been done in about an hour and a half.

3. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

In the beginning you have menu on the lower left where you can select Clean install which will wipe everything from the hard drive and install fresh copy. I've had one iBook which refused to install Leopard before I did PRAM and SMU -resets, I bought it used and one or both of those setting apparently were corrupted or something. Once I received used iBook and while it booted fine it showed very strange battery info, amperage was -4325215 or something and charging estimate was couple days. After resetting SMU I discovered that the battery had hardly been used at all. According to the seller the whole machine had been sitting in a closet for couple years.... bit off-topic yes, but what I mean is that when you have strange problems with Macs, do those resets, just in case. Instructions from Apple's site or Google. I performed upgrade from Tiger to Leopard with my iBook G4 1.42 I currently have, it went without problems but I have not used Tiger that much before so I guess all permissions etc. things were OK.

4. Grunthaner thread starter macrumors member

Great I did a clean install everything seems great except itunes gave me an error of 11333 when I tried to log in. Any ideas? It wouldn't allow me to search my password either.
    Thanks again Linda

----------

I thought maybe it needed an update but when I tried to update it said:

The iTunes update server could not be contacted. Please check your internet connection, or try again later."

I'm puzzled. Maybe I need to just download the last version for leopard for PPC, but not sure which one it is. Anywone know?
    Thanks Linda

5. Grunthaner thread starter macrumors member

6. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Attached Files:

7. Grunthaner thread starter macrumors member

Yes I found it and installed the updates on the os as well as itunes 10.6.3 but it still won't work so I'm now updating the quicktime app. I hope that does the trick. I'll post when completed.
    Thanks again,
    Linda

8. Grunthaner thread starter macrumors member

OMG this is never ending now after updating OS & iTunes all night (finally restarted at midnight) back to same problem now it says:

"iTunes requires QuickTime 7.5.5 or later. For more information on upgrading your computer, visit http://www.apple.com/quicktime"

After locating a link on CNET for 7.5.5 which I felt was a trusted site it installed a program called Wiseconvert which I don't want (Can I just find where it installed and delete it?

Back to square one, where is a safe place to download QuickTime 7.5.5 I can't run iTunes 10.6.3 without it.

Now I'm wondering if the Leopard install was a good idea or not.

Running Leopard 10.5.8 right now. Yes Google is my friend but where is a safe place to find the real deal QuickTime 7.5.5????????

Frustrated at this point,
    Linda

9. Grunthaner thread starter macrumors member

Finally found it:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL27?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    I think it's going to work,
    Linda

10. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks