Installing Leopard to a blank 1 TB hard drive (please help)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rust.puppet, Jul 5, 2011.

1. rust.puppet macrumors regular

Last week my hard drive failed on my july 2009 macbook pro (the first 13") and the warranty is up. I shopped around for options and settled on a samsung 1TB off of OWC. I assumed since i couldn't find my snow leopard and i had leopard laying around that I would just be able to replace the hard drive and then boot from the disk and install easily. I held down "c" and it started the process etc. I was following a guide that said to go into disk utilities and erase it to be able to install it, but thats where a ton of errors are happening. most notably a "imput/output error" and without being able to erase/format the disk it wont let me install. I'm beginning to think it's just a fluke hard drive that i need to send it back for a new one but this post is my last resort beforehand in the offchance that it's me missing a step. i've tried reading other peoples solutions but they are often trying with externals or have their old data backed up on externals. I've never had to do anything like this on a mac. thanks in advance and sorry for the long read, it's been a headache. (ill be back on in the morning)

2. sebgreen macrumors regular

Try.....

Just double check you put the hard drive in correctly. Take it out and re-insert it to make sure the connects are secure. Then try using the disk again.

If it still happens try a different hard drive. If you have the same issue looks like your motherboard is buggered

3. rust.puppet thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alot, ill try taking it apart again and then get to OWC about getting a new hard drive.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You cannot install a version of OS X that is older than the version your MBP shipped with, which is exactly what you are trying to do, and exactly why this isn't working.

Find your original disc or cough up the $29 for a new snow leopard install disc.

5. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was released at the end of August 2009, the June 2009 MBPs (I have one) came with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on them.

OP, have you tried this yet?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603