installing leopard to an iMac from a MacBook's installer DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lith-ium, Dec 6, 2009.

1. lith-ium macrumors newbie

hey everyone,

i have an old iMac 4,1 (tiger 10.4.11) at home and i cant stand being on tiger anymore. I want to install leopard, but i dont have a retail dvd. what I have is both macbook and macbook pro installer dvds. is there any way to install leopard to my imac using the macbook's installer disk? if yes how? :confused:

i already found the thread on http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=371302 but it doesnt help me alot.

thx in advance! :D

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, the discs are locked to the specific model of machine they shipped with.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Sorry, this can't be done. The discs that ship with Apple's computers are specific to the machine. MacBook discs only work on MacBooks, etc. It's also against the End User License Agreement (if you care about that sort of thing).

Why not just upgrade with a retail disc? You can go straight from Tiger to Snow Leopard for $29 (although that's also against the EULA, as you never had Leopard).

So to put it simply: you need the retail disc.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. lith-ium thread starter macrumors newbie

owh, too bad. i have a retail disk, which is snow leopard, but it cant be installed either, because there's no sufficient RAM available in my iMac. somebody knows what to do about it? (besides adding RAM) :)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't have the ram to run SL, then you'll be very disappointed with the performance of 10.5. Its pretty bloated resource wise but if you persist then I'd recommend getting 10.5 disks from ebay or craigs list.