Installing Leopard without Aqua/Finder/UI

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Alexstre, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Alexstre macrumors newbie

Hello!

I was wondering if it's possible to install Leopard without any of the OS X UI, simply the terminal? I know this may seem really useless but I have my iBook G4 that's been completely useless for the past year and I thought I'd try to do something with it... maybe use it to stream music or something.

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, but you can try installing Darwin. You'd be missing most of the features of Leopard, but if you want command line ...

3. Alexstre thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that a different installation or can it be installed from my leopard dvd?

Thanks

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Get it here

Note, this is not Leopard. What OS are you running? Why not run 10.4? or 10.3?

5. Alexstre thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm currently running Leopard on all my computers. I had Debian for a while on the iBook but it was really unstable. I have a 3-days weekend, thought I'd do a few fun things: adding an audio output to this 5$ midi keyboard i found, messing up with my laptop's OS, you know.. ;)

I've never used Darwin 'by itself', seems like it could be interesting.

Thanks for the info!

6. octelcogopod macrumors newbie

I don't think there's an option for a CLI-only install (maybe on the server version, but I could be wrong). However, there are guides for running OS X in headless mode (remote console).
    I guess the most painless way to go would be to set it up normally and use SSH for administration