installing leopard.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blasteryui, Nov 27, 2010.

1. blasteryui macrumors newbie

hey guys so I have a new macbook that came with snowleopard disc, i tried installing snow leopard on my macbook pro which is running 10.5. However it won't work, it's saying "mac os x cannot be installed on this computer". I get to the language selection, select english ,it loads for a sec then it says that.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific. They won't work on other models.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple lock the restore DVDs shipped with Macs to only work on exactly that type of Mac to prevent the sort of casual piracy you are attempting.

4. blasteryui thread starter macrumors newbie

imo, when you own both the macbooks, i should be able to use the discs, i had a feeling. Ugh, first they take over 2000 out of my pocket, now i gotta buy another disc. Sweet.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You ARE able to use the discs. Just use the MacBook disc with the MacBook and use the MBP disc with the MBP. Simple!

6. blasteryui thread starter macrumors newbie

The macbook pro disc is 10.5, i want 10.6 lol? And i used time machine on 10.6 so now i can't recover those files and such on to my 10.5.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So buy a retail 10.6 disc for $29. It's not a free upgrade.

8. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Hmm I would say thats not true at all. I used my disks to upgrade my sisters laptop to OS X without any issue.... and that was a 2009 MBP disk to a 2007 MacBook... Last I knew you could use them with any machine (maybe not "legally") or within the license agreement, but still.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe you're mistaken. They will not work on other models. The error message the OP received is what happens when you try.

10. CW Jones macrumors 6502

All I'm saying is I have done it before without issue. I'll do some more checking but if what your saying is true, then my sisters laptop wouldn't have OS X... and it does.