Installing Leopard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac-Addict, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I am a kinda new Mac user and I was wondering when I buy Leopard to update my MBP does it wipe everything on my Hard Drive or just uninstall Tiger and install Leopard? And how long does an upgrade take? Anddd what will happen to my Boot Camp partition? Will that be lost or doesn't anyone know?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

nah its just a straight upgrade on your Mac partition :)

3. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Oh :'( I wanted to have a whole big rant but you took that away from me :( Oh well! Thanks anyway :).

Joe

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Typically, when you install an OS X revision, you have three major options:

- You can "update" which overwrites everything from your older system. In the Panther -> Tiger upgrade, there were a number of problematic new installs that were attributed to doing this, although it was never completely clear whether the issue was that old software was unstable in Tiger, that Tiger was buggy, or what.

- You can "archive and install," meaning you get a "previous system" folder to which all your old stuff is moved. If you do that, you can pick through it at your leisure and delete it when you have no more use for it.

- You can "erase and install," meaning you delete everything and start fresh.

The only curve-ball with Leopard is the fairly compelling rumor that the filesystem of choice could shift from HFS+ to ZFS. If that happens, you'll be encouraged to reformat your drive, and Leopard may or may not (probably would not) have a way to get your data onto the new partition without a backup. Most likely you would need to backup documents and so on, reformat, and then copy them into the user account in Leopard. Of course, ZFS as the default in Leopard is still a rumor, and it will almost certainly let you use HFS+ instead. The question is just what you'll be missing out on by not using ZFS.

5. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ok well I would have purchased an external hard drive by then so I can just back up all my files (iTunes and so on) and start fresh with Leopard on my OS X partition right?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, if the ZFS thing does become an issue, the best bet would be to make an image of your whole hard drive on the external disk, or at least of your user directory, and then let the installer reformat the drive in ZFS. Since you have the external drive, it should be painless. :)

7. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

W00t! Now if this was Windows this thread would be 10 pages full of problems! I love Mac OS X!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, I love it too, but to be honest, I'm sure there will be a 10 page complaint thread when Leopard actually comes out. ;)

9. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Heh Vista has most likely had a lot more.

10. afornander macrumors 6502

you should be able to back everything up with time machine when you install the leopard ;).

11. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Err yeah but I'm talking about installing Leopard.. you can't use Time Machine unless you have Leopard installed and thats what I will be trying to do...

12. ThePrimeDreamer macrumors newbie

I had a quick question regarding the installation of Leopard. My brother and I have Macbooks ourselves, and I'm wondering do both of us need to buy Leopard, or can one of us buy it and install it on our two separate Macs?

13. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

There are no codes so you are are on the honor system. If you are a student you can buy it for around 70 dollars from Apple.

14. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

this has me confused... Apple offer a family pack (5 user license) and a single license... however, there isnt a code to enter... so, why bother selling a family pack?!

must have something to do with User License's ... im sure

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Apple trusts its customers to be honest with their installations. Don't install free software because that will only encourage Apple to add those annoying arse Windows like activation codes on them.

16. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

how about FCS?