Installing Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by etg2120, Nov 6, 2007.

1. etg2120 macrumors newbie

I have a .dmg file of leopard on my mac, but how do i install it? I open it and start the instal, but it cant run from the computer. I also tried copying it to a dvd-r but it says it is to big? It is about 6.6 GB. Is there any other way to install? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why do you have a .dmg and not the DVD? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you don't have a legal copy, or else you'd be able to simply start up from that disk and install Leopard the correct way.

jW

3. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Ok... so you have a dmg file to install Leo from... which I'm going to assume you downloaded as opposed to purchased (would have gotten the DVD then). So good luck getting help on this forum, since the VAST majority of us are of the strong opinion of not pirating software (at least from Apple - esp OS X).

So... lets see a pic of the license you have to install & run Leopard, and we'll be glad to help.

4. etg2120 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess you guys are probably right. A friend sent it to me, so Im guessing he would just gave me the disk if it was not. I would still like to try to install it anyways to test it out before I buy it because I like using tiger a lot and the transition could be hard. Im pretty sure I can buy a student copy for pretty cheap so Ill just do that, but if anyone still wants to help. - How exactly can someone get it off the disk to a .dmg file though?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Umm, read the rules here. No one is going to help you install pirated software, no matter where you got it or how innocent your intentions were. :rolleyes: Go buy it, then come back for help if you need it.

Disk images are formed from a disk with a couple clicks in Disk Utility, btw.

jW

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Stop being so hard on the guy. It is perfectly reasonable to want to try before you buy.

ETG2120: What you need to do is take your computer to an Apple Store and and buy a pack of Dual Layered DVDs. The geniuses there will be more than happy to take you through the process of transferring your .dmg to a DVD. Then, they'll even help you through the install process. The Apple store is always there for you. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

7. pixelbaker macrumors member

pixelbaker

lol. I like you.