Installing Leopard...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMacBook, Dec 21, 2007.

1. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Okay. I want to install the Big Cat soon but I want to know this.

I'm planning on backing-up all my crap. I want to know what directory I should back-up. I want everything to be as if I just upgraded over Tiger if I do need to do a clean install.

So, what do I back-up? My home folder, HD->Users->Jack. Just that folder? I want all my apps, music, everything like it was.

Will downloaded/uploaded torrents still be in the queue? Will all my iTunes music have X amount of plays? Its stuff like that that I want to preserve.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, generally that is the folder to backup. Keep in mind, that you may loose items stored elsewhere on the computer (as an example, your Applications folder may not be located in your user's folder).

Are you using an external HD to backup? If so, you could make an exact clone of your internal HD using Carbon Copy Cloner to ensure you have everything.

3. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Yes. I will be using an external. I just hope all of this can fit on the external.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to use that. :)

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just do an upgrade or archive & install and all your apps, docs, music, settings etc will remain intact. but for safety precautions just in case you run into problems backup all your stuff as you suggested and then do a clean install.

to backup your mail, calendars, bookmarks, contacts etc use this guide by apple.

to backup your third-party (non-apple) applications copy them to your backup drive from the applications folder and then backup these folders:

~/Library/Preferences
    ~/Library/Application Support
    /Library/Preferences
    and the folders in /Library/Application Support that have the name as the app or its developer.

to backup your music, podcasts, music videos etc and iTunes settings backup the iTunes music folder in ~/Music and to backup your photos and iPhoto settings backup the iphoto library in ~/Pictures. if your movies are in iTunes then backing up the itunes music folder is sufficient enough. otherwise just backup your movies folder. then just backup your documents and any other random files on the desktop or anywhere else :)

if you have enough space then yes just use carbon copy cloner and then restore the files and folders above. in you run out of space on your external drive consider using your ipod or dvds to backup

5. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I believe I'll have enough space on my external to do an exact copy.

I think I might just do a clean install and then bring over everything. Can I just do that? Replace the needed folders and such? It'd be a lot easier and I heard that doing a clean install is best for it because people we having problems with just upgrading.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, I would upgrade if I were you. As far as your system is concerned you're not gaining anything from an erase and install, except the risk that your backup will fail and you'll lose everything.

It would be many times harder, in fact. And as I already said above, a "clean install" isn't any better.

But you should still always have a backup.

7. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Then I'll just do the upgrade. I should be getting Leopard soon. :)

Thanks for the help!

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Use CCC to back everything up, as said. Then either do an upgrade or archive and install, or install clean and use the Migration Assistant. Whichever way, you'll have a backup in case anything goes wrong, and when you're sure everything is working, you can set up the backup for Time Machine.