Installing Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MarkW19, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Is it possible to split my Macbook HD into 2 partitions, then install a separate 10.5 system on each (with the idea of keeping one completely separate and clean)?

2. theman macrumors 6502a

yeah, just install it once, create a new partition using Disk utility, and then install it again on the other partition.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Great, so Leopard allows you to create partitions from free space on the same HD on the fly?

I haven't messed around with partitions since the OS9 days, where creating partitions meant starting up from another HD/CD and wiping the whole HD!

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

why would you want to do this? i could understand if you where installing Leopard on one and Tiger on the other.

it would be better to install another Leopard on an external drive as notebook drives have a smaller capacity so its a waste of space.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats how its been up until now. its pretty neat. to be honest i havent tried it yet im too scared to loose my data as Leopard is still young. ill wait until it matures.

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Why not just create another user?

On my Dads Mac I created and Admin account for me, and an account for him. The Partition i setup, i used for Time Machine.

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Because I want a fully clean system to run Logic Mainstage on for live music, and everything needs to run very smoothly. The best way to do this is installing a completely different system that doesn't go online at all, or do anything that's not absolutely necessary for Mainstage use.

This will be much more effective than just creating another user on the same system.

I also have a 200GB 7200rpm in my MacBook, so allocating ~40GB to the Mainstage partition isn't a problem. I also don't want to be tied down to an external HD if I can avoid it :)

Thanks for the help guys, it's good to know it can be done.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You are thinking about windows. Macs don't slow down much by going online, unlike windows.

But if you really want to do this, boot up using your system disk, then create your partitions using Disk Utility, then do the installs.

9. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just want to give myself the best chance of a fully smooth and stable system, as my livelihood will be depending on it (it's a slight risk, but I'm hoping it'll work for what I want it to do).

I'd like to sort Mainstage out first, and see how much space I need to allocate for it etc. So, I can just create a new partition from free disk space without erasing the rest of the disk can't I?

10. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Correct. It works really well, too. I've used it several times both with an internal and external hard drive.