Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I went to install ipod linux on my nano following this guide:ipod Linux. I got up to step 12 without problem (up to replacing firmware), but #13-16 don't make sense to me and apparently my computer. After I enter the #13 command, the next line starts with a little ">" so I write the next line as instructed, without getting an error. I'm sure I have all the right files, am I missing something?

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
funkychunkz said:
I went to install ipod linux on my nano following this guide:ipod Linux. I got up to step 12 without problem (up to replacing firmware), but #13-16 don't make sense to me and apparently my computer. After I enter the #13 command, the next line starts with a little ">" so I write the next line as instructed, without getting an error. I'm sure I have all the right files, am I missing something?

Have you tried the process while using a different shell? If you are using bash, try using tcsh. Just issue the command tcsh before you begin to start a tcsh shell.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
funkychunkz said:
Sounds like you've got an apostrophe/quote in your iPod's name. e.g. "funkychunkz's iPod" and didn't escape it, so the shell is looking for another one to complete the pair. Try escaping the ' or other special characters (like space) with \ i.e. \' for "funkychunkz\'s\ iPod" instead of "funkychunkz's iPod"

B

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
don't install linux on your nano. It is not worth your time. BUT if you do "need" it, contact them and ask them about your problem via eMail.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
thanks guys, but I got it myself.

It had to do with the volume name i had to type it like so: /Volumes/Dave\ Young\342\200\231s\ iPod\ 1

I had an apostrophy, a special character, which conflicted with the command perametres :p

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
BTW, that page is a very good tutorial, and the installation worked. iPod linux is great, but the recording doesn't work on nanos. Doom works!!! Now to work on video...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
rdowns said:
Doom and video on a 1.5" screen. :rolleyes:
I'll grant you video ;) , but people play games on mobile phones with similar screens all the time. Of course people will put linux on their toaster if has the right CPU, just 'cause they can, in this case as in many others (WRT54g, NSLU2, ...) Linux adds tons of functionality not in the original firmware.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.