Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flashtastic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Australia
Hi All :)
Our school has very little money, so I suggested running REALbasic for linux.
I know that the Linux standard edition is free, and that Linux could be installed on PPC Macs (All G3 iMacs).

Is this a good idea? I have no idea when it comes to Linux, what type of Linux should they use?, and how would you virtualize it? Could you make a dual-boot system?
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks!

Flashtastic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Australia
Oh Really? Aww that is a shame.

The Mac version costing money is the problem…
It would be very expensive to buy 30 copies of REALbasic.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
what is real basic? you mean real player free version? if so, there is linux version for you.

maybe I didn't get the question, let me know.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
what is real basic? you mean real player free version? if so, there is linux version for you.

maybe I didn't get the question, let me know.
REALbasic. "REALbasic 2007 is a modern, object-oriented language and environment that runs on and creates software for Windows, Macintosh and Linux." clevin, in the time you spent typing that response, you could've found a quick answer to your question and not looked so unknowledgeable. "Gnome Sane?"™

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
The Linux standard edition is indeed free. For personal use at least, not sure how the licence goes for anything more

To run it you will need X86 machines though :)

It might be worth phoning them and asking, as they have discounts etc. for academic types

LogicalVue

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
USA (Maine)
Hi All :)
Our school has very little money, so I suggested running REALbasic for linux.
I know that the Linux standard edition is free, and that Linux could be installed on PPC Macs (All G3 iMacs).

REALbasic is a great development environment and would be ideal for learning how to program. In fact, they even have a curriculum already written for it.

But as other have mentioned, REALbasic for Linux only runs on Intel-compatible versions of Linux.

But yes, REALbasic Standard Edition for Linux is free, for any type of use.

To run REALbasic on G3 Macs, you'd really need the OS X version. REAL Software has academic pricing of $70 per license (normally $100). Granted, that's $2100, but you should contact them. I'm sure they'd be willing to cut you a deal to get REALbasic used in a school.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
REALbasic. "REALbasic 2007 is a modern, object-oriented language and environment that runs on and creates software for Windows, Macintosh and Linux." clevin, in the time you spent typing that response, you could've found a quick answer to your question and not looked so unknowledgeable. "Gnome Sane?"™

I don't pretend I know everything. dejo, thanks for the clear explanation, and sorry for the rest of the post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.