Installing Linux

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tugaware, Feb 2, 2014.

1. tugaware macrumors newbie

Hi. I would like to install fedora on a different partition. I search some tutorials and all of them told me to create free space on the HD.
    I saw that I could do this by dragging something on Disk Utility.app, but when I try to do it i can't find it. Is anyone having this problem on a MBA 2010?

2. csvke macrumors newbie

Assuming you are trying to install fedora in a new partition in your start up disk. You need to run disk utility by rebooting and hold command + r (because you cannot partition your boot disk when you are booted with it)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5845

Be sure to backup before doing it.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a walkthrough how to shrink your main partition then add a new one to the end like you want.

Make sure you have a backup first in case anything goes wrong.

Yes you can.

4. tugaware thread starter macrumors newbie

I know but on my disk utility.app doesn't appear that little widget on the bottom of the partition. I think it's because I have a password on EFI.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't believe an EFI PW will do that (I may be wrong?), but I know if you have Filevault turned on you cannot resize. Do you have FV2 on?

If you do, you could turn off Filevault, then resize, then turn FV2 back on, but when you use Filevault it alters the boot process to actually initially boot from the recovery partition, then only boot into the main partition after the PW is entered.

I fear if you try to install Linux you are going to alter the EFI boot process and break things. :eek:

6. tugaware thread starter macrumors newbie

I had FV2 on. Ill try to do that with the FV off.

After this ill try to install linux and see what happens. Hope that everything is going to be ok :D

7. tugaware thread starter macrumors newbie

I turned off the FV2 and still doesn't appear the widget on the bottom of the partition. Is there something more that i can do?

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

have you thought of installing on an external HDD? then you wouldn't have to worry so much about mucking up your boot disk.

9. afro-ninja macrumors member

Out of curiosity, why are you installing Linux? :)

10. tugaware thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I really don´t want to add bulk to my MBA. I though using a pen, but without usb3 or thunderbolt I think it's better to not use it.

I really like the good old days of the 10.4.6. I think OSX is getting worse after that. And now about all the security issues I prefer open source software. I know i'm getting a little paranoid but I like security above all.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... that's odd. I have used it before like this. I have FV2 so on, so can't test for you.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Util from there.

12. tugaware thread starter macrumors newbie

Even with with the boot disc utility I can't do it. Ill try to reinstall the osx and then do that.

13. robvas macrumors 68020

Why not just install it in a Virtual Machine?

14. tugaware thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't like running OS on VM. They never get the same performance. I want to explore the max from linux.

15. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Unless you need to do some serious number crunching a VM is totally fine and if you did need to do some number crunching you wouldn't be installing it on a MBA with it's low voltage CPU, would you?

16. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

OP, what is your goal? So far, you've asked how to install Fedora, and that you want to play with Linux "to the max", but since you are running into problems, it might help to know what it is you are trying to do.

17. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

VM (your choice of which: Fusion, Parallels, virtual box) is definitely the way to go.