Installing Lion from Mountain lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anonymous4a, Aug 24, 2012.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

hey guys, is there a way to go back to Lion osx from Mountain lion? I got a new macbook pro and it came with Mountain lion but i'm unsatisfied with the battery life, was wondering if there is a way to go to Lion osx

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Not that I know of, unless you create a Lion USB and install from boot by wiping the HDD first......

3. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

I already have a windows 7 partition, I don't mind wiping the mountain lion hd but will my windows 7 partition be affected?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Unless you have an older model Mac, that came with Mountain Lion, you are stuck with Mountain Lion. Otherwise you should be able to downgrade to Lion via a USB drive with a Lion image on it.

TEG

5. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Maybe you can downgrade... maybe not.

It all depends on your hardware. Seeing as your model was released pre-Mountain Lion. Then probably, yes. The easiest way to verify if you can would be to do a Lion install on that computer using a formatted external drive. That is what I would try.

Terry

6. rebeggar macrumors newbie

You can use Winclone to clone/image your Windows 7 partition to an external hard drive. Then when you restart/turn on your computer, hold down the option key and go to the recovery partition. You should be able to find something there to restore Lion... Afterwards, you can just restore the image you made earlier of your Windows drive (just run bootcamp first to make the partition).

7. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

hey guys, actually I'm quite new to mac os, i usually use windows so I'm unsure of how to proceed with uninstalling mountain lion.. I do have a copy of Lion version 10 7 4 though. Is it something involving disk utility? Any tips on how to proceed from here?

8. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

If you don't mind to delete all of your data on your Macintosh partition, you may boot from your media and select Disk Utility. Select your Macintosh partition and select Erase. Then exit Disk Utility and select to Reinstall Mac OS X. Select the partition you just erased as the destination partition. That's all there is to it. It will remove/delete all of your Macintosh data, so you will want to copy any of that data onto an external drive or implement Time Machine to do a backup before you proceed.