Installing Lion on 2006 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by conival, May 7, 2013.

1. conival macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I know this subject is covered so often, but having spent a day trolling through so many pages & getting (almost) nowhere, I'd like some fresh input.

I've got an old Mini 2.1 upgraded to Lion requirements (Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, etc.). When I try to install Lion (from official Apple USB drive) it comes up with the old "This cannot be installed etc, etc).

I sadly do not have access to another MAC running Lion (target disk mode).

Obviously I cannot download Lion from the App store anymore.

I have downloaded a few images from torrent sites & even managed to create a USB boot drive using Lion DiskMaker - however it won't boot (grey stop circle).

I'm at the point of giving up & sticking with SL (works absolutely fine), however I'd really like to to have access to iCloud.

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated

2. Bear macrumors G3

It isn't just the processor that is the reason why your system won't install/run the last versions of OS X..

If you want iCloud support, I suggest you buy a new(er) system, especially as you'll probably want all the iCLoud features and will want to keep up to date with OS X. And also you want at least 4GB of ram at abare minimum for Mountain Lion.

Note: You won't get any help with pirated software here. It's against the forum rules.

3. conival thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair comment about pirated software, but just disappointed that using a legitimate method (Apple's own thumb drive) doesn't work either.

It's just annoying that other people with identical systems have been able to upgrade to Lion with little/ no problem