Installing Lion on multiple macs

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ibanez55, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ibanez55 macrumors newbie

hey guys i just bought a 2011 MBP which came pre installed with lion i found out recently theres a license for it to be used on multiple machines so would like to install it on my 09 imac. I have found multiple guides for those who bought lion as an upgrade but cant find any way to do it with the pre installed version, any ideas?

Thanks

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

You prolly can't with the pre install Lion!

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

log into the mac appstore, navigate to the lion section, and see if it will recognize that its pre-installed. if it will, then you can follow any of the pre-described steps for re-downloading it and creating a usb installation drive.

4. ibanez55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea this was my first thought, it says its installed but nothing happens when i click it/option+click nor is it listed in my purchases?

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

The reason it doesn't show up under Purchases is that you haven't purchased it. The license only covers the machine it came pre-installed on, you can't use it on your other machines...

6. rdconner88 macrumors newbie

It's slightly complicated, but possible. What you need is a blank external hard drive.
    1 Connect it up to the lion machine.
    2 Restart and boot to the recovery partition by holding command and 'R'.
    3 Choose to install OS X
    4 Choose the external hard drive when prompted and let it install to the drive.
    5 Once it is finished, shut down machine, remove external drive
    6 Shut down destination computer
    7 Connect external drive with lion on it
    8 Boot computer while holding command and 'R'
    9 Choose install OS X
    10 Choose the Mac HD on the computer and install
    11 Enjoy lion
    fyi this whole process could take hours depending on your internet connection because it will actually download lion both times.