Installing Lion on new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doc Mitchell, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Doc Mitchell macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought a new iMac just a few days ago. It has Mountain Lion Pre-installed and it doesn't support my Presonus Firebox sound card so I tried to install Lion and even Snow Leopard on a separate partition of the hard drive but it doesn't seem to work. Does anybody know what to do? I already paid quit a bit for the iMac and I wasn't planning on buying a new sound card just yet.

2. 343matt macrumors newbie

Lion Install

Hi, you wont be able to install Lion 10.7 on a 2012 iMac, as there are no drivers available for it and it wont be able to function correctly. You may be able to return it, and purchase a new 2011 iMac, although it may be difficult to find one. You could buy a newer Mac, that is currently sold, that supports Lion, like the 2012 Non-Retina MacBook Pro. Finding a Lion 1.7 DMG may be difficult.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thats a shame its not supported in Mountain Lion. Judging by the tech specs on their site they seem to be pretty far behind the times :/

Also take a look at this thread, there are people who have it working successfully by using an external power supply:

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/30351.page

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You would be much better served buying a new sound interface than downgrading your brand new Mac to an old OS.

Sadly, the new iMacs don't have FireWire, which many audio interfaces use, but you can get a TB to FW adaptor. I have an Edirol FA-66, which is compatible with Apple's CoreAudio/CoreMIDI, so it needs no drivers. I got specifically to be future proof. (However, it's FireWire only -- that's part of the reason I got a Mac Mini instead of the iMac!)

Make sure you buy kit from companies that stay up-to-date and publish new drivers quickly. M-Audio took over six months to update their drivers for Snow Leopard; that's why I ditched their hardware.

As said, you can't run older OSes on new Macs, because the old software doesn't have the drivers for the new hardware.

5. Doc Mitchell thread starter macrumors newbie

So I might go for a used Edirol FA-66... From what I believe it has a Firewire 800. I already got the adaptors Thunderbolt/Firewire and also a Firewire800/400 just in case. I might try to trade the Firebox in my local music store. Thanks for the help!

6. Doc Mitchell thread starter macrumors newbie

I managed to get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for a cheap buck trading the Firebox. It runs with a USB cable and seems to be working good so far :)