Installing Lion on new SSD: MBP 13" (late 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nova2wl, Nov 27, 2011.

1. nova2wl macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased my first Mac through the Best Buy Black Friday deal. I also ordered 8gb of RAM and an Intel 320 SSD from Newegg. I am super excited to get it up and running.

First Question: I will be getting the RAM and SSD before the MBP is delivered so I figured I should just install the RAM and SSD first. Is there a foreseeable problem in doing that?

Second Question: Do they include the Lion OS in the MBP box in the form of a Disc or USB so I can install it on a fresh SSD? Or will I have to clone a bootable drive of some sort from the original HDD?

Thanks all.

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

The only problem I see is it will be tricky installing that ram and SSD without the macbook. Otherwise... have fun.

No disk or USB drive. You'll have to roll your own.

3. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Why don't you just clone the SSD when your computer arrives as it would be a fresh factory install anyway. :rolleyes:

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Since you just bought it the EFI should have been updated to support Lion Internet Recovery.
    Pop your SSD and RAM in, boot up and follow the on screen instructions.
    You WILL need internet.
    Apple support page here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/ Yes the MBP is not mentioned here but it will work.

5. nova2wl thread starter macrumors newbie

That's perfect! Thanks a bunch for that.

6. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

umm i thought you needed the drive to have some form of data on it to support that internet recovery. And i have that read the internet recovery takes many hours

7. nova2wl thread starter macrumors newbie

Since its built into the EFI I would assume it wouldn't matter if data was on the disk.

I did a little research and it seems the download is about 4GB for Lion. It shouldn't take long on my internet connection...Hopefully :eek:

8. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

well i wish you the best. because i over looked the EFI when i threw in an SSD about 2 weeks ago. had i known it would have worked i would have been very willing to try out the internet recovery. please let me know how that goes? i am very interested

9. nova2wl thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do for sure. I still may just do a drive clone because I am impatient :rolleyes: . So whichever one is fast I will end up doing.

10. balk macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.6; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1111101157; U; nl) Presto/2.9.201 Version/11.50)

I recently wiped my hdd and did an installation via internet recovery. It works very good but does indeed take some time; about an hour or so to dl only. Keep in mind that it downloads the full lion installer of about 4GB.

When I first launched MAS I noticed that the iLife apps needed to be tied to my apple id. Don't know if that also works when doing a fresh install. Keep the old hdd just in case.

11. nova2wl thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice thanks for the reply. I've read that iLife does need to be re-downloaded and tied to an account but that shouldn't be too big of a problem. I am however keeping the hard drive and putting it into a hard drive caddy instead of the optical drive so I will still have it.