Installing Lion on older MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by akivag29, Jan 30, 2012.

1. akivag29 macrumors newbie

I want to install Lion on my '07 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz), but unfortunately, I only have 1 GB of RAM, and I am aware of the 2 GB minimum for installing Lion. But I wanted to know - is this requirement only to install it, or also to run it? Meaning, would it be possible for me to switch memory sticks from another computer that has 2 GB of RAM, install Lion, and then switch back, such that I can continue to use Lion on my computer with only 1 GB of RAM?

Now, I understand that most people wouldn't even recommend running Lion on less than 4 GB in the first place, but I'm really asking if it would work regardless.

Has anybody tried anything like this? Or do you have any suggestions, recommendations, or warnings about trying this? Might the other computer (already running Lion) be negatively affected by making this temporary switch? I appreciate all your help!

2. Orion27 macrumors member

Why? You like looking at beach balls? Definitely not recommended and a waste of time. Just go buy some RAM and be done with it.

3. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I second that, RAM is cheap. Go buy some and be done with the issue.

4. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I would definitely purchase more ram. Check MacSales or even eBay, it is pretty cheap on either site. I know it sucks, but its better than a laggy computer. Snow Leopard is still a very capable OS, in fact many people here still prefer SL to Lion.