Installing Lion, Some Features are not Supported?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SirithX, Jul 2, 2011.

1. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I get a warning: "Some features of Mac OS X Lion are not supported for the disk..." "Features such as FileVault and Recovery Mode won't be available if you install Lion on this disk." There's a learn more button, but it leads to an Apple support article that doesn't exist at the moment. I have been getting this error in the previous developer preview builds, but I assumed that was an issue with the small partition I gave Lion at the time. Now I'm installing this over my Snow Leopard installation in one of my large partitions and I still get the error, why is this?

2. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

It's a bit of a guess, but I suspect your disk uses APM or MBR partitioning, where both of those features need a GPT partition table.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same issue on my '11 MBP, but I have a GPT partition table.

4. SirithX thread starter macrumors 6502

SirithX

Hmm an issue with the partitions is what I'm thinking too but I'm fairly sure I have a GPT partition table as well. My Macbook Pro came with SL installed and I've only used BootCamp and Disk Utility to partition it further. I do feel like the solution to this will be to end up starting from scratch and removing this drive's partitions, but obviously I want that to only be a last resort...

5. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

you can't boot form a APM or MBR partition, so that isn't definitely the problem.

6. SirithX thread starter macrumors 6502

SirithX

Welp, erased my old 30 GB Lion partition, put that space back onto the main partition, then repaired disk permissions on that main partition. Tried the Lion installer again, no warning message this time! Huzzah.

7. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I didn't have any partitions, but I repaired disk permissions and still can't get it to work. What Mac are you using? I've heard installing Lion on 2011 MacBook Pro's is a bit troubling.

8. SirithX thread starter macrumors 6502

SirithX

I'm using a mid 2010 Macbook Pro actually. I have heard that the 2011 Macbook Pros had some issues with the previous DP builds, but I'm not sure this particularly was one of the issues people had trouble with based on my searches.

9. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Same here. I have never seen this issue before, and I was just about to post a thread on it until I saw yours. Whenever I proceed with installation, it gets about 2-3 minutes in and then it stops, saying it cannot create a recovery partition.

10. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

I don't know about MBR but you can quite definitely boot from APM partitions. The Mac OS X 10.5 DVD contained exactly that because it was bootable on both Intel and PPC macs, and PPC macs can't boot from non-APM partitions.

11. larkost macrumors 6502a

As CyBeRino indicated, Intel computers can boot APM just fine. They can also boot HFS(+, etc) from MBR partitioned drives. So all Intel Macs can boot from GUID, APM, MBR, and ISO 9660/Hybrid (filesystem on a CD) drives. So any of the "normal" partitioning systems in use today (excluding mainframe schemes).

He/she also hit it on the head and PPC Macs can only boot from APM formatted drives (plus ISO 9660/Hybrid). And that the 10.5 Installer (and 10.4 Server Universal Installer) shipped as an ISO 9660/Hybrid + APM formatted disc. And that you could copy the volume over to a APM formatted drive to have a universal booter for Intel- and PPC-based Macs at the time.

The confusing bit is that on Intel-based Macs that same Installer would only install to GUID formatted disks, and the same disc running on a PPC-based computer would only install to APM formated disks. Once the install completed you could image the resulting volume back and forth with no problems.

12. briedis.vilks macrumors newbie

Has anybody found real solution to this problem?

I am still getting -
    Some features of Mac OS X are not supported for the disk "Macintosh HD"
    Features such as FileVault and Recovery Mode won't be available if you install Lion on this disk. To learn more, click More Info. To continnue with the installation, click Continue.

13. damson34 macrumors 6502

The problem is that you have a bootcamp partition. I guess Filevault only works on HFS+ partitions and can't encrypt NTFS. There for no full encryption.

14. Novecento macrumors member

I had the same restrictions during my installation of Lion on a freshly formatted 500GB hard drive. Have no idea why. I also don't have a Recovery Partition.

Funny thing is: when I installed it on a partition on an external USB drive that also had a SL partition on it, there were no restrictions and I also have the recovery partition there.

Pretty weird.

15. KScottMyers macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem and had posted this a few days ago about my Mac Pro. I have two OCZ Agility SSDs in a striped RAID configuration that have worked fine with Snow Leopard, but can't get past the "Some features of Mac OS X Lion are not supported" error. The only thing that worked for me was to break the RAID and use the disks as separate drives. Not a good solution. Need a fix for this.

System:
    Processor MacPro1,1 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Drives Two Agility 2 SSDs
    Memory 16 GB RAM
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4870
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 GM (11A511)

16. briedis.vilks macrumors newbie

Can you suggest what should be done, to solve this problem without losing any data?

17. damson34 macrumors 6502

Honestly, other than deleting the Bootcamp partition, I have no clue. You just have to weigh the importance of each. Is FileVault more important than boot camp? What do you use bootcamp for?

18. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Question - I have Bootcamp running on an entirely separate drive and still have this issue - could this still be related to bootcamp in some way?

19. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's probably due to low disk space.

20. KScottMyers macrumors regular

My RAID was for 480GB. Unlikely a space issue.

21. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Never had an issue with booting from APM although the whole need to image first is annoying. If you ask Apple will tell you that it dose not work though, so that's where some others are getting confused.

22. larkost macrumors 6502a

You want to encrypt a RAID? You are just asking for trouble there.

23. KScottMyers macrumors regular

All I want to do is install Lion on a stripped RAID partition. No Bootcamp, no encryption or anything else.

24. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Could it be because you have the format set to HFS+ Journaled Case-Sensitive? The case sensitive part could be throwing it off...

25. KScottMyers macrumors regular

No - I've been using the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option. Not the Case-Sensitive option.