Installing Lion to separate partition - quick query

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mustgroove, Jul 2, 2011.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Just planning my upgrade path to Lion, and I wanted to ask a question about whether this kind of method might work:

My computer - MBP running 10.6.8; 500GB hard drive (171GB free space)

My plan:
    1) Create new partition (say 50GB) & install Lion to it
    2) Start working with Lion until everything's stable and 10.6.8 is no longer really needed
    3) Backup data from the 10.6.8 partition
    4) Delete 10.6.8 partition
    5) Resize Lion partition to take up the whole disk
    6) Copy backed-up data over to Lion partition

Sound like a plan?

2. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

+1

Sorry I can't confirm that your plan will work but this almost exactly what I am planning to do as well.

I actually have a 500GB drive that is currently already partitioned into two almost equal volumes.

I'm planning to install Lion on one of these as a clean install. My plan is to set it up from scratch exactly like my SL install so I can make sure everything works and if/when things are stable get eventually get rid of my SL install.

One issue I am curious about. Will spotlight indexing be an issue? I know how to exclude a drive from spotlight in sys preferences but I recall trying this back when I had Leopard and was playing with SL on an external and I had issues with this. (ex: you'd have a program on one installation trying to open files on the other) I would like the two partitions to be completely separate (so I don't mess up my SL install)