Installing Lion w/o internet: New drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pandastick, Nov 25, 2011.

1. pandastick macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I just got a new SSD which I would like to put into the optical bay and launch my system from.

To do that, I'd like to install Lion on the SSD first and then recover everything through a time machine backup. After having done some reading on the matter, it seems that I need internet to install Lion on a brand new disk - I do not have access to high-speed internet. Is there any way to install the WHOLE OSX from USB?

I beg for your apologies if this question is retarded :)

Thank you.
    Peter

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Hi
    firstly I would suggest that you put the SSD in the main drive. The main drive is capable of SATA III but the optibay seems to have issues with SATA III. I would put the HDD in the optibay. If you want to boot from the ssd you could use Carbon Copy Cloner and create an identical copy of the hdd on the sad. Then stick it in the primary bay. The mac will boot up from there. You will need an external USB/Firewire enclosure to do the copy.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you buy lion from the app store?

if so follow this guide to make a bootable lion dvd than you can install it without the internet

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/09/how-to-create-a-bootable-dvd-disc-for-os-x-lion/

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ahh good point

6. pandastick thread starter macrumors newbie

success... almost

installed it in the superdrive with the data doubler in the end. I knew the issues with SATA 3 and the superdrive bay, so I got a 3G SSD.

Used Carbon Copy, as its free and seems much better than superduper (as you can choose exactly what it is you want to copy). It should work, and I will confirm.

Thanks guys!

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

CC doesn't copy the restore partition because it can't see it.

From their Web Site:
    Will CCC clone the "Recovery HD" partition on Lion?
    When performing a block copy of a Lion volume, CCC will clone the Recovery HD volume. CCC will not clone this volume in an ordinary file-level backup. You can, however, recreate this partition using Apple's "Lion Recovery Disk Assistant" tool.

"Do I need to clone the Recovery HD partition if I have a CCC bootable backup?"

Your CCC bootable backup offers more "recovery" functionality than the Recovery HD because it is not only a fully functional installation of Mac OS X, it's your installation of Mac OS X — the one with all of your stuff. If you boot from your CCC backup, you can

Repair filesystem problems on your startup disk using Disk Utility, or even third-party utilities
    Reinstall Lion via the Mac App Store installer
    Get access to your data and get some work done while waiting for a replacement hard drive to arrive should your original disk fail
    Restore your CCC backup to a replacement hard drive
    The Recovery HD partition isn't going to work for you if your entire hard disk fails, and an Internet-based recovery service is going to be slow, even with a fast Internet connection. Your CCC backup will serve you quite well in lieu of a clone of the Recovery HD partition.