Installing Lion with Software (Stripe) Raid

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by randrade, Nov 16, 2011.

1. randrade macrumors newbie

just wanted to share my experience, hopefully help someone down the road.

i have a 08 Mac Pro with 4 x 320GB drives. i wanted to install Lion (via USB) on a Stripe RAID and still have one drive for boot camp and one for time machine. Problem, as has been documented in this forum, is that Lion would not install when using software raid or at least people posted problems getting it to work and identify the drives correctly.

So lucky i had a good back up on time machine before i started my adventure. i reinstalled Snow Leopard from DVD and configured the first two drives as a stripe RAID and then restored from time machine. then i applied the software updates (about a 1gb worth) and then started the Lion install from the download copy i had from the Mac Store.

NOTE: i did a time machine backup immediately after i purchased and downloaded Lion so the restore still showed it under applications!

so after i ran the installer it rebooted running Lion and the stripe RAID configured the way i wanted it to be. disk utility identified everything correctly.

so now i have 640GB Lion, one 320gb for boot camp and one 320 for time machine!

just thought i would share :)

2. Major Reeves, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Major Reeves macrumors regular

It's working fine for me, 3x300gb velociraptors in raid 0.
    That means, no recovery partition, etc.
    And btw it was a clean install.