Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akeaka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Hi,

I was given a disk copy of our Lion by my brother but do not have Snow installed on my laptop nor the discs that contained it any longer, so it won't install.

Is there a reliable means to install Lion without buying Snow again? I don't have the funds to do so right now.

I'm running 1.5.8 on a 3 year old macbook pro

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Burn a Lion DVD, then boot from it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I was given a disk copy of our Lion by my brother but do not have Snow installed on my laptop nor the discs that contained it any longer, so it won't install."

I can foresee 2 possible scenarios here.

1. Your brother created a bootable Lion DVD and has given you a copy. In that case, you should be able to boot from it and do the install.

2. Your brother burned a CD of the Lion install files, but NOT as a bootable DVD. If that's the case, you might be able to run the Lion installer from the DVD without a reboot, during which it will create the invisible partition (is it EFI and/or restore?) on your internal drive, after which the Mac will restart and do the installation.

Just be aware that _during_ a Lion installation, your Mac will "automatically reboot" one or more times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.