Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Does upgrading (installing) the RAM myself void any warranty from Apple? Also, exactly what specs am I looking for in upgrading the Mini's RAM? I've upgraded PC RAM and am familiar with it, but I've never owned an Apple. Thanks!

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Does upgrading (installing) the RAM myself void any warranty from Apple? Also, exactly what specs am I looking for in upgrading the Mini's RAM? I've upgraded PC RAM and am familiar with it, but I've never owned an Apple. Thanks!

You only void your warranty if you break something while getting into it. As far as RAM, I always use Other World Computing - they have good prices and good return policy for defective chips. I've had one such chip from them out of perhaps 25 that I've bought over the years.

MikeMckenzy

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's a pain...

to open the mini be VERY careful...there are a lot of exposed boards and wires and things that can be damaged. It's doable...But just be extra careful. There are sites with pics if you google "how to open mac mini".

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
exactly what specs am I looking for in upgrading the Mini's RAM? I've upgraded PC RAM and am familiar with it, but I've never owned an Apple. Thanks!

Well it depends on exactly what mini you have, but it uses standard pc memory. The slots are basically the same, just maybe where the placement is can differ, but thats for all motherboards. It's a task not for the faint of heart, but it can be done, just be careful. Ditto for OWC, they are great. Ramseeker can find some very cheap prices for you sometimes.

MAW

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Los Angeles
HA, did you see the rusty putty knife the guy is using in the tutorial? I just though that was funny.

"Why are there bloodstains on my Mac Mini?"

"Oh, thats just rust."

"Thanks for the memory."

ha!

and then he goes and gets drunk...

"That's it. Plug it in and turn it on. If you've successfully completed this tutorial, congratulations! Not only have you upgraded the RAM in your Mac Mini, but you've also probably perfected your putty knife skills!

Go buy yourself a drink."

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Did the OP ever take care of this?

If you have an Intel Mini, RAM is the same as in all the other products (with exception of Mac Pro). So it takes DDR2-667Mhz (PC2-5300) SO-DIMMS. There are two slots, both are occupied with 256MB sticks. Best performance can be seen if you use in pairs (ex. 2x512 or 2x1GB)

I had a Mini and did the upgrade myself. It's packed very tightly, but there are some great tutorials out there that help. Took me maybe 20 min, and most of that time was disassembly and assembly. I went from 512MB to 2Gb mmmmm it flew.

Vortexfl

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
I just purchased a MacMini and the 1st thing I did was find a tutorial on how to replace the memory.

The putty knife to pop the tabs worked great. The screw removals are pretty straight forward just don't forget reconnect the power connector for the fan or it will run at full speed forever :eek:

It took me about 20 minutes the 1st time and the second time it was very quick.

Be gentle and you will be fine.

I added 2 gig of ram from Crucial.com and it only cost 90.00 total including shipping.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I was under the impression that the Mac Mini required laptop memory. I intend on purchasing the Mini 1.83 from Apple. I have 1GB of Crucial Ballistix memory in my desktop which I am replacing and would like to re-use it if possible. Can I do that? I have (I think) Crucial Ballistix 184-pin DDR SDRAM. Thanks!

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I was under the impression that the Mac Mini required laptop memory. I intend on purchasing the Mini 1.83 from Apple. I have 1GB of Crucial Ballistix memory in my desktop which I am replacing and would like to re-use it if possible. Can I do that? I have (I think) Crucial Ballistix 184-pin DDR SDRAM. Thanks!

Clearly you missed my post. I told you what kind of RAM you have needed and how it should be installed.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Ok, so I've found the correct type of RAM on Newegg, which I like. What brands are reputable and good to use with Apple from the following:
G.Skill
Corsair
GeIL
Mushkin
Patriot
PNY

Thanks!

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
I wouldn't advise using a rusty putty knife, but a putty knife is the best tool to get it taken apart. A putty knife is actually the suggested tool that Apple tells you to use in the service manual.

I have used Corsair memory a lot. I have never had any issues with it. I tend to use Corsair over Kingston now.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I tried the G.Skill RAM from newegg that stated it was compatible with the MacBook and MacBook Pro, but my mini's temps hit >80 degrees C under load, causing kernel panics. I then tried Mushkin RAM, and now my temps rarely break 70 C and all is well.

Also, be careful not to insert the putty knife too far into the mini, I accidentally ripped off the IR remote sensor. It was easy enough to solder back on, but I'm pretty sure my warranty is void if an Apple tech looks close enough.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Nice, thanks for the RAM feedback. Now, if I bump it up to either 1 or 2GB will that allow me to run some games in Boot Camp (XP) like CS:S, Guild Wars, or WoW successfully? The way I understand it, the integrated video shares the RAM, right? If so, then that says to me that sharing 1/2 GB should be enough.

Also, if the processor is 1.83 "Intel Core Duo," then does that mean 2 processors then run like it is twice that (3.66)?

Thanks!

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
If I'm not mistaken, 64mb is set aside for vram. If you install windows I think you can up to 230ish. I don't remember. Somebody help me out with this.

You'll be fine if you drop 2GB in there.

The processor has 2 cores on 1 chip. It's not a matter of running at twice the speed. It's more of being able to multitask more efficiently and effectively. (Again, somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
If I'm not mistaken, 64mb is set aside for vram. If you install windows I think you can up to 230ish. I don't remember. Somebody help me out with this.

You'll be fine if you drop 2GB in there.

The processor has 2 cores on 1 chip. It's not a matter of running at twice the speed. It's more of being able to multitask more efficiently and effectively. (Again, somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

You are correct. OSX limits the VRAM to 64MB whereas Windows uses the full 224MB.

You are also correct with the CPU. To get an equivalent "twice the GHz" speed, the program itself would need to be able to take advantage of multiple cores and do it efficiently. Having said that, the Core Duo is better than the old Pentium 4 even at a reduced clock speed.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
So then I guess the questions becomes whether or not to install 1GB or 2GB? Besides the gaming (which is mild, not a whole lot) I don't anticipate demanding a lot out of the mini. Any suggestions? Don't really want to go overkill on this one. Looking to play something like CS:S, Guild Wars, or WoW. Thanks

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I've installed RAM in a desktop PC. IS the process essentially the same? It looks like it, but want to make sure.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I've installed RAM in a desktop PC. IS the process essentially the same? It looks like it, but want to make sure.

Yes, it's the same. With the exception that your working area is very tight and there is a greater risk of damage if you don't follow the guides step by step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.