Installing Mac OS 10.4.1 on eMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iaddict, Feb 8, 2009.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

I have an eMac that I want to install OS 10.4.1 on. The OS is on a DVD and I think the eMac only has a CD player on it. Can I download the installer to a flash drive and then install it on my eMac? Also, will I need to leave anything out of the installation since it will probably have an install to operate a DVD player, which the computer does not have?

Thanks.

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

You need to install from a bootable hard drive or disk.

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

You need to install from a bootable hard drive or disk?

I guess I will need more info on how to do this. The only way I've ever installed an OS is just to pop it in the computer and install it. I have a hard disk that I bought for back up to my computer so I'm wondering what steps I need to take in order to do this. Also, I guess I should make a back up of the other OS before doing this? Sorry to ask all these questions but I know just enough to cause a problem trying to do this.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If the eMac only has a CD drive (which means it must be a *really* old eMac), then you could use another Mac's DVD drive as a means of installing. If you've got another Mac available, place the Leopard DVD in its drive. Connect a Firewire cable (6-to-6 pin) between the two Macs.

Restart the Mac that has the Leopard disc in it, while holding down the letter "T" on the keyboard. Meanwhile, back on the eMac, you should see the Leopard disc pop up on the Desktop, as if it were in the eMac itself. From here, just run the installer.

(Of course, you've got to have a second Mac for this to work.)

5. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks ziggyonice

That sounds quite easy. I really appreciate the help.