Installing mac os 9 and mac os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boika, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Boika macrumors regular

I have around 10 imac g3's i bought off ebay. They work fine except they have completely empty HD's. I have both os 9 and os 10 installation disks but when going to install them, i get to the stage where u pick a "destination disk" or whatever it says that there is no HD present it. I assume this is becuase the hard drives need to be re-formatted. I have tried doing this but im not entierly sure how. Could somebody give me and idiots guide step by step in how to install and reformat on a slot loading imac g3 =] Thanks.

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Right, they need to be formatted. You use Disk Utility included on the install disc.

3. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

How do i get to the disk utility on the mac osx installation

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Depends on the flavor of OS X. With Tiger, you boot from the System Install disk, pick your language and go to the Utilities menu. In Panther, if I remember right, you can get to the Utilities menu before the language choice.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You need to be a little more specific. There are three separate versions of MacOS 9: MacOS 9.0, MacOS 9.1, and MacOS 9.2. Not counting the public beta, there are five versions of MacOS X 10, MacOS X 10.0, MacOS X 10.1, MacOS X 10.2, MacOS X 10.3, and MacOS X 10.4. This is important because the system utilities changed over time. You also need to make sure that you have the shrinkwrap versions of the OS unless you have the specific version that shipped with a particular computer.

I recommend that you format your hard drives using the most recent version of MacOS 9 and that you choose HFS+. Use the MacOS 9 utility, Drive Setup. Install your most recent version of MacOS 9. Use Software Update to install all available updates. Then, install the most recent version of MacOS X over MacOS 9. This will allow you to boot either OS. Use the MacOS X version of Software Update to install all available updates.

You should have at least 256 MB RAM. You should also have, as a bare bones minimum, 6 MB of hard drive space. For good performance, you should have much more than 6 MB.

6. torchwood04 macrumors regular

In my experience, updating OS9 this summer through Software update, Apple does not detect a new update, even though they should. I would download the 9.0.4, 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2 updaters manually and take them to a CD. If you have say a 9.1, 9.2 cd, just download the specific updaters. Note that they must be done consecutively.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

:confused:

8. torchwood04 macrumors regular

We are all adults here (or should be), and can assume that they made a typo, and actually meant 6GB

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thanks dad...

But where exactly did he pull this 6 GB figure from?