Installing Mac OS on a New HD (on a G4 Mac Mini)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wompy, Jan 20, 2009.

1. wompy macrumors newbie

Hi, I am trying to repair a G4 mac mini for my brother, and replaced the hard drive and CD/RW drive, but I need to install an operating system as well. So far I've tried installing Leopard with no luck. I get a flashing "?" and no options.

I've tried booting and holding down "C" but nothing happens. I can hear the disc spinning so I assume that the drive is working.

I don't have the original Mac OS disk for the mini, but I do have Tiger from when I purchased my Macbook Pro, and I have Leopard from when I upgraded my Macbook Pro. As I mentioned, I've had no luck with Leopard (haven't tried Tiger yet).

The Mac Mini is 1.25GHz/512MB RAM. Any ideas on how I might get an operating system onto this computer? This might sound stupid, but can I connect the hard drive to my Macbook Pro and just copy over the OS folders, or is there another way to install a Mac OS prior to putting the drive into to the mini?

Thanks!
    -Wompy

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Unfortunately, you need a PPC version of OS X to even boot with a startup disk. Plus, restore discs that come with new Macs usually only work on that particular model.