Installing Mac OS on PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by limoni, Jun 7, 2008.

1. limoni macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have WinXP on my PC and I would like to install Mac OS as 2nd OS.
    Can you recommend on a good guide to do it? Is it a common installation or something risky and complicated to the PC?

10x

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Ok go look for OSX86

IT IS AGAINST THE EULA AND RECOMENDS METHODS THAT MAY HAVE YOU BREAKING THE LAW.

I ADVISE YOU TO JUST BUY A MAC WITH THE MONEY YOU MAKE SELLING YOUR PC.

it does work but read the above.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No real harm in telling him where to look. You need to go to www.insanelymac.com. You are not breaking the law when you break the EULA, its breaking a contract. People openly discuss iPhone hacking here and that is not very different.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am pretty new here also... however, there is the nice big button on the top of the forum aptly titled "Search". Maybe we should be pointing the OP of this thread to it instead.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except you're not supposed to talk about that here, so he wouldn't find anything...

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea you can....please see my above link

11. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

Ever heard of contract law. Its a whole legal profession. If you break a contract, you thereby are breaking a legal obligation which can be adjudicated in a court of law. So, yes it is illegal according to your contract.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

eula's in itself are hard to hold up in court as far as what ive read.

i mean you dont sign the contract, dont sign before you buy etc

this is NO different then hacking apples apps onto ipod touches which is talked about here soooo...

once again, here is a thread with arn's say on the matter

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=432594

case closed

13. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Ok lets put it this way chances are if you did not buy a mac you <b>probably</b> illegally downloaded Leopard. I would find it hard to believe someone would just go out and buy 126.00 copy of leopard and trying to install on his PC. That being said that is why some people are not willing to help because of this. This is my take when I see people tallking about this.

14. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I did - a dedicated copy of Leopard for that machine only. Built a hackintosh around a quad-core 3.2 gHz for about $1,000.

15. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

well I am glad it works for you but I do not break and rules, contracts, and or laws. I will gladly pay the money for something rather than be cheap and take low quality hardware and put mac on it. Just buy a mac

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

We already have four Macs (two Minis, MacBook, MacBook Pro), two iPhones an Apple TV and Airport Extreme Base Station at home. At work, I have four iMacs (24" Intel C2D, 20" G5, 17" G5, Intel Mini CS). Apple's seen plenty of my money, and I would have been happy to send them $1,500 for a headless iMac with a couple of 3.5" bays an upgradeable video card and two PCI slots. I have waited patiently for this machine (as have others on these forums), but Apple had failed to come through. I was a point where the Mini's performance was insufficient for my needs (and had been for about a year) that I had to go the route I did. I sure as hell don't need a server-grade machine (Mac Pro), especially when it's $2300 for the entry-level quad-core. I'll take my 3.2 gHz Q6600 quad-core over it for single user use any day.

And don't talk to me about "cheap" and "low quality hardware"; the optical drives in both of my Minis no longer work with DVDs. It kind of sucks having a Mini-based home theater and I cannot even play DVD Video discs on it. Apple cuts corners, too, when they believe they can. Quite frankly, I think the iPhone etc. have been a real distraction to Apple and their computer lineup has suffered because of it.

17. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Exactly.

The forumer you responded to seems to fail to realize that the hardware in a homebuilt can be superior for the same price as a Mini.

The Mini hardware, like all laptop-based architecture, is certainly compromised for the sake of lower power consumption and reduced form factor. It is thus lower in performance even if it is not necessarily lower in quality, although as you argue some of the parts may fail, and when they do it is not a case of 'pop the cover and replace'.