Installing Mac OS X 10.0 on external hd?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by htg, Apr 20, 2010.

1. htg macrumors regular

I have a copy of mac os x 10.0 which I would like to install on my external HD Seagate (120gb). Is this possible and if so, how could I do this?

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's not really possible, unless you have an old Mac which came with Mac OS X 10.0 or older (no Mac OS X can be installed prior to the one that came with it).

You have an x86 (Intel) Mac according to your signature, and as you didn't come forward with more information on what Mac you want to install that OS, I assume you meant the MacBook.

As Mac OS X 10.0 is not Universal but using the PPC code, it will not run either, in case the first point (no Mac OS X can be installed prior to the one that came with it) wouldn't be true.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Can I ask want you even want to do with 10.0? It was hardly usable and very buggy.

4. htg thread starter macrumors regular

@spinnerlys
    i don't want to install it on any mac. i want to install it on my external hd so that i can boot my computer from it (if possible)
    @Intell
    i wouldn't use cheetah for anything, it's just cos its the first mac osx i sort of wanna have it as a souvenir.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But, but, but the external HDD has to be connected to a computer to be of any use (or router, but in your case a computer is the better choice), thus the reason why I asked which computer you have except the MB.

You need a computer that is capable of running Mac OS X 10.0, so a Mac from 1997 to 2001 should be fine.

I would go into more detail, but then I would repeat my first post, so in short: It is 99.9% impossible with your MB (x86 (not PPC) and built after 2001). Maybe some kind of emulation might work though.

6. htg thread starter macrumors regular

oh ok. i get it. yeah i don't have a computer from before 2001.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

To the OP: I'm not sure if 10.0 would even install on an external if you had a compatible computer. But, the good news is, if you want to play with it you can easily get your hands on a G3 or early G4 tower for $50 (or less), which will run it just fine. Heck, if you look around, you could well get someone to give one to you for free.

Hey, it wasn't glassy smooth, but I used it full-time on my DP533 from the day it was released, and it really wasn't that bad. The simple fact that it could use both CPUs and didn't crash on me on a regular basis due to the protected memory (I ran a newsreader at the time that was prone to bringing the classic MacOS down) made it totally worth it.

Now the Public Beta, that was buggy and hardly usable. Especially on a beige G3 233 with 192MB of RAM, which is what I tried it on at work.