Installing Mac OS X on an external hard drive.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Knifey-Spoony, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Knifey-Spoony macrumors member

Okay I want to install the developer's preview of OS X Lion on an external hard drive to play around with it. Is it as simple as connecting the external hard drive to my MBP and popping the OS X disc and selecting the partition on the external drive to install Lion on?
    If I do this will this effect the other partitions I have on the external drive? I have Fedora installed on another partition on the drive which I need for school, will Fedora still be bootable if I stick the drive into a computer at school?
    Thanks

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Should work the same way any other install of OSX works on external..though I haven't attempted that with Lion. The only way to for sure know is plug the external drive in and during the install process where it asks to select a destination select your Lion HD partition.

Other partitions should not be affected but always have a back of any critical data on partitions.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You need to be registered as a developer to use Lion. If you aren't a developer and don't know what you are doing, don't fool around with illegal downloads of Lion.