Installing Mac OS X - Select a Destination won't finish

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nyutnyut, Mar 17, 2009.

1. nyutnyut macrumors member

I have a dual 2.0 ghz G5 i'm prepping to sell. I'm trying to do a clean install of the OS, but it just sits there and hangs up on the Select a Destination part.

It shows the harddrive greyed out, but it won't stop spinning/processing, to continue.

the original HD crashed, and I installed this new drive and ran on it with no problem.

the old broken drive is still connected, but is dead, could this be the problem?

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

When you boot up with the OS disk, look at the top menu bar and go for disk utility. Should be some options in there to toy with. Maybe reformat as OSX journaled?

I should have finished reading your post. Yes, it could very well be the reason. I would unplug it and see how far you get that way. I know my Mini will refuse to boot up (infinite spins @ grey screen) if I have my second gen shuffle plugged in. Once I unplug it, immediately taken to the login screen.

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Did you run Disk Utility to partition and format/erase the new drive?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try disconnecting the dead drive. Odds are the installer is trying to check it to see if it's a valid destination, but failing.

5. nyutnyut thread starter macrumors member

thanks all for the quick responses.

disconnecting the drive worked. i'm having trouble removing it, since it's on the top bay, and getting hung up on the top of the case. anyone have any suggestions for this?

once again, thanks for the great response. i love the mac community.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I think you have to remove the lower drive first. Then, make sure you swing your end of the drive downward (look for the guide rails) before you pull it all the way out. Watch the cables to make sure they don't catch on the drive as well.