Installing mac os x tiger for resale of laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maxfischersweet, Jul 29, 2010.

1. maxfischersweet macrumors member

I upgraded to a new macbook pro, and now i am about to try and sell my old macbook pro.

its the original macbook pro 17" 2.16ghz 2gb ram. i pulled the original 100gb 7200rpm hard drive and upgraded it to a 500 gb 7200 rpm.

Is there a way to install mac os x 10.4 tiger software so that when the new buyer turns it on for the first time they can go through the whole set up/registration crap.

however. i would like to instal all the updates and the aperture program i want to give to the new buyer. so is there a way i can do that and not have to create a user. cause i already installed mac os x tiger but i made a user named john doe. then i tried to change that, cause i thought it was cheesy, by doing the whole changing short name stuff, then i messed it all up as in missing folders and crap. so i am reinstalling it.

if they cant do all of that, can i at least just install, and update without creating any user?

thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

There is definitely a way to do this--I've read thorough tutorials explaining how to install the OS, create a temporary account, do updates, then delete that account and flip the proverbial bit to get OSX to ask for a new account and registration.

However, my Google-fu is weak today, and I can't seem to find said tutorial. Was pretty sure one was posted on MacOSXHints, but I haven't yet located that either...

Edit: Finally. Here's the hint:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2007110800450816

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I prefer this method.

Note that both these methods specify Leopard, but I'm sure the steps would be very similar for Tiger. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what the differences would be.

Seem like I used the method I posted on a Tiger install though...

4. maxfischersweet thread starter macrumors member

ok awesome thanks alot. i am about to check them out and try them out. wish me luck.

thanks again for the help. i figured there had to be a way, since im sure resalers and even apple themselves need to do this.