installing mac osx

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the-face, Jan 28, 2009.

1. the-face macrumors newbie

hi!
    someone help please.
    i bought this macbook pro from a friend, and he fomatted the hard drive completely before giving it to me..there is absolutly nothing on the drive,
    now I cannot install mac osx.. when i boot off the install disk 1 (of 2) after language selection it just displays cannot install mac osx on this computer... i tried everything that i know, to no avail.. please help.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

We need more info - what macbook pro? What version of OSx are you trying to install? Leopard requires I think 867 mhz cpu to install, for example. Might have formatted the HD wrong; you might need disk utility to prep the dest drive.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

boot off of the disc... open disk utility from the Utilities drop down of the menubar and make sure the drive is formated properly to HFS+

thats the first thing i can think of.

4. the-face thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a macbook pro 15' silver of course.. the install disks are from a friend who bought his last summer.. quite new .. it says version 1.0 on the cd..

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't use machine-specific disks with other machines. That's your problem.

6. the-face thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about that, but dont know any differnt.. it was formatted as a mac journaled extended i think...

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Exactly; you need to buy a retail version of OSx like Leopard. It is also possible to get the original install disks from Apple for a small fee ($30?) but that takes you back to the original OS, whatever version it was.